[web] port MFC OpenGL app to web app

Started by
4 comments, last by Excors 17 years ago
Hello, I am investigating how to port my C++ MFC application using OpenGL(!) to a web application. Searching the internet leads to several keywords, like plugins, X3D, Ajax3D, OpenGL ch. ASP.NET and more. A bit confusing for me as unexperienced web programmer. Could somebody advise me what is a good direction/solution to choose? I know I have to learn web programming, that's clear. But using which technology? Best regards, Peter
Advertisement
I've never seen anything that could do that. I know the browser itself is not capable of rendering anything other than text (and it does that poorly sometimes too). You could try making a java applet or use flash. either way you'll need a plug in to do what you want.
Yeah, I've seen a Java applet that could use OpenGL, so I know that's possible. I can't think of any other way to do it as a web app.
you could port it to a shockwave app (shockwave can be accelerated by the GPU). But you'll have to re-write your whole renderer.

Otherwise the only thing I could see would be to write an ActiveX deal that launches your game window in the browser (you'd probably have to port it from OpenGL -> DirectX though)

Basically, browsers offer you no inherent ability to run 3D apps without custom plugins. as a web-app it _has_ to run on the client machine. good browsers don't let you run things on the client machine without explicit permission (i.e. the user has to download and install a plugin).

-me
Yes.

Use Java with OpenGL - or choose a plugin of your choice such as
Shockwave or anark.

But be aware - the more unknown your plugin is - the more likely
it is that users don't want to install it. Even if it is better
than other plugins.
So long,Mr.E
There's some very experimental work on a portable standardised built-in OpenGL ES interface in web browsers, specifically in Opera (example) and Firefox (code, with a 0.1 release probably happening quite soon), with a note here saying "A future version of this specification will probably define a 3d context (probably based on the OpenGL ES API)".

But that'll probably be something like a year or two away before it's properly released (and then IE still won't support it) - at the moment you can't do much other than 2D (or slow 3D-faked-in-2D (blatant self-promotion)). But depending on how exciting you want life to be, and whether you don't mind being limited to Firefox + non-standard extension in the near future, you could probably do something useful with FF's 3D canvas.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement