Fraps video editing on Vista?

Started by
2 comments, last by deffer 17 years ago
So I've been working on something and wanted to capture some video. I have fraps, which I haven't used in some time I must admit, so I installed it. I'm running Vista home premium 64bit. Fraps worked fine for capturing the video but now I'm stuck trying to edit them (compress and do some editing of putting cutting up the footage and sticking it back together how I want). The problem is I'm a complete newb to editing and have been unable to get both Windows Movie Maker and VirtualdDub to import the videos from fraps. Both give a message about a missing codec/filter. I'm able however to play the videos fine. Wondering if anybody else has run into this or has a solution. I'm even open to other video capture software however don't have the cash to buy something so it'd have to be free and being a coder open source is always a plus :D Thanks
"The general thanks you!" - Quote from a call I took at work.
Advertisement
I too have been unable to open/edit most of my files using Windows Movie Maker.
Then I discovered:
"Tools->Options->Compatibility"

There, you'll have all the installed codecs/filters with checkboxes activating/deactivating them. In my case, I just needed to turn some on and turn some off, and voila! it worked.

Hope it will help you.
hmm I checked there and only had one showing up for avi and it was already checked. Are you using fraps or where did you grab your codecs from?
"The general thanks you!" - Quote from a call I took at work.
Quote:Original post by Yazilliclick
hmm I checked there and only had one showing up for avi and it was already checked.

Hm. I was trying to edit mkv. And I had to un-check Haali Media Splitter and check ffmpeg. Check if you don't have to un-check something!

Quote:Original post by Yazilliclick
where did you grab your codecs from?

I'm using ffmpeg from CCCP

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement