A Zillion Free Sounds is now online!

Started by
7 comments, last by Tom Gilleland 17 years ago
Developers, You won't believe your ears! I just posted the entire Zillion Sounds library online for free non-commercial usage. Now you can peruse and copy the sounds live via the web. (http://sounds.beachware.com/) Basically I have decided to take our commercial product "A Zillion Sounds 2.0" and post it online for free non-commercial usage. If you want to use the sounds for commercial work, then you need to buy the collection as a PC or Mac download, or CD-ROM for $19.95. The 5,000+ sounds are organized into 70 different categories and each sound has associated keywords on a unique web page. I did this so that each sound would Google well for the keyword descriptions. All the sounds are in MP3 format at 22k mono. If you buy the Download or CD the sounds are in .WAV for PC, and .AIF for Mac. Over the years many game developers on this forum and elsewhere have used this collection for game sound effects. Since I just posted this website, I would love to get some feedback. I tried to make it easy and useful to use, but I'm always open to suggestions. And if you like this free collection I'd love to have some links to it from your sites, blogs and stuff. Thanks, Tom
Advertisement
I like that your doing this.. and i would love to have those sounds but i kept getting pop ups when i went to the site.
Why hasn't a moderator deleted this ad yet?

Quote:Original post by aakurtz

Hey, give me break. I'm a long time game developer (since 1990) and I thought I would share my sound collection for non-commercial use. I'm basically giving away tons of free content. Sure the site has ads, but just about every game developer site that I've looked at has ads too. From the numbers I've read, most of the game portals make over half their revenue from advertising.

I only have targeted GoogleAds on that site, there are no Popup windows. How are you getting popups? That doesn't happen on my machine.

Tom
Quote:Original post by aakurtz

Not being one, I can't speak on behalf of a moderator, but this stuff is actually useful for people, ad or not. Besides, it's free unless you're working on something commercial right?
Seems on-topic to me. I'll be giving 'em a listen. $20 for that many sounds is a pretty good deal, especially compared to the commercial stuff out there (SoundDogs).

Is the ownership of 'em all free-n-clear?

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

This looks to be clearly legitimate to me.

...And thank you! Cool site, and fairly easy to find what you need.

Free for non-commercial rocks (!), but are we allowed to edit them? What sort of credit do we need to give?

//edit. Also, I don't get any popups.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Hey,
I tryed the website again and i didnt get any pop-ups. I dont know why i got them the last time but there gone now. Anyways thanks for putting up the sounds.

Tyler
Quote:Original post by johnhattan
Is the ownership of 'em all free-n-clear?

I recorded or created nearly all the sounds myself. They are all clear of copyrighted stuff. You can edit the sounds all you like, you don't have to credit where they came from, though I wouldn't mind links to the site. :) The main thing is non-commercial (free) vs commercial (Cheap $20).

Here's the detailed usage rights: (http://sounds.beachware.com/rights.htm)

-Tom

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement