Would this be legal?

Started by
9 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years ago
Hello everyone! I'd like to know, just like lots of people make the so called "Animated Music Video" aka "AMV", would it be legal if i made a non-interactive demo/movie and used a animé music as its background music, and submitted that to my deviantART page as a flash video, considering i'd say "music (c) <author or band>", and all that? Thank you for your time regarding this message, and have a nice day!
Advertisement
It is not legal to use somebody else's IP without their permission, unless it is covered by fair use laws, which are murky and vague, but probably do not apply here. So yes, it would be illegal.

I am not a lawyer, should should consult a real lawyer for legal advice.
Or just do it and wait until a real lawyer consults you.
I'm no lawyer either, but common sense says that it's definitely illegal. It's however very common that other people's music is used in various videos online and it usually does not cause a problem since these videos are of interest to a very small audience.
Best regards, Omid
Thank you for your reply, everyone!

I felt it was illegal too, but since i saw lots of AMVs on YouTube and all, i kept wondering why nobody does anything about those, so i asked here to be sure.

So, lets say that for some reason beyond the logic, time and space continuum, i ask the artist who created the music if he/she/it minds me using it for that non-profitable demo, and he accepts.

That'd be okay, right?

But i dont know what should i put on deviantART when (if) i use the music, i bet just a "the artist gave me permission to use his/her/their music" wont do the trick.

But meh, i might as well give up. I aint even sure if i'll get to make a demo that actually *needs* music =/

Thank you all for your time regarding this silly thread, sorry for the trouble, and have a nice day!
So, I am no lawyer either.

For it to be legal, you need written permission from the copyright holder. That may or may not be the person who created the item in question, but it is the person or entity named on the copyright tag. If you do get permission, then, pending any special crediting requests on the part of the copyright holder, listing it as "Name of Song Copyright (c) 200X Some Musician/Corporation. All Rights Reserved." would likely be enough. Unless some trademarks are involved.

Companies do actively pursue the protection of their copyrights, which is why often said AMV's are taken off YouTube. I know of one example just two weeks ago or so.
That reminds me a one of boolean's comics. I guess you "spuns AIDS" [grin].

Asking legal advices is better done on a legal forum - although your case is pretty simple: using a copyrighted work without prior written permission from the copyright holder is forbidden, except in very specific cases that doesn't encompass what you're wanting to do. So: you should't do that, that's illegal.

Best regards,
Quote:Original post by AndreTheGiant
Or just do it and wait until a real lawyer consults you.

In America, you consult a lawyer.
In Soviet Russia, lawyer consults you!
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
In America, you consult a lawyer.
In Soviet Russia, lawyer consults you!

I would say that it's the other way around...
Don't Temp Fate..
Quote:Original post by nuno_silva_pt
Hello everyone!
I'd like to know, just like lots of people make the so called "Animated Music Video" aka "AMV", would it be legal if i made a non-interactive demo/movie and used a animé music as its background music, and submitted that to my deviantART page as a flash video, considering i'd say "music (c) <author or band>", and all that?

AMVs are illegal, people that are doing them are sometimes just trying to change the law, as it's non commercial activity, and killing these activities is the same as destroying charity because they will not create a profit.

I recall a deleting even legally created videos (These were done under parody law exception.), and some retards might try to sue you for distributing your work, so don't worry even if you'd have rights for distribution you might go into trouble.

On the other hand you might say, all contents on that site is considered as parody, thus your flash is supposed to adhere to rules of that site.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement