Sign in to follow this  
Ksingh30

A question for Programmers (non artists)

hey I have a question, this is only for programmers. when you are working on something(some game) and you need some kind of artwork(texture, 3d model) what do you do? Assuming you don't have much artistic talent and cant just open up PS or 3D studio Max and cook something up.

Hi,

there are only two options when not working at a company:
1) Look for some free or cheap models.
2) Do it yourself.

Sometimes I ask a friend for doing some models, but he usually want to gets paid too. Fortunately I become better Blender every week :-)

My suggestion would be to either grab absolutely any free models you can find on t'internet or just make some very basic placeholder models yourself then get on with the bit you are good at - writing the game.

My logic is that if you can get something playable and fun up and working with random models, you are in a really good position to then approach modellers, perhaps via Help Wanted here.

If you have a fun and playable game I think it likely that someone out there who can model but not program would jump at the opportunity to get involved.

There's someone in the journals, I forget who, who has an excellent top down 3D spell-based combat thing coming together really well that is currently populated by an army of Sonic the Hedgehogs [smile]. Doesn't in any way detract from the game they are writing.