Sign in to follow this  
Genesiiis

Win32 API!

Hi There. I started Learning C++ a while ago and was quite naive in my thinking that all I had to do was learn C++ and then that’s it, I could program anything. I then realised that then new libraries, API's and all that also get thrown in and in itself C++ only really serves use as something to write console applications (Sorry if I am wrong in any of the above and if I am could someone steer me to the write course). I am looking for some good books on the Win32 API for C++ or some good web tutorials, does anyone have any suggestions, thanks everyone!

This is a pretty good starter tutorial. Also, if you haven't already got it, download the free Visual Studio 2005 Express from Microsoft and install the PSDK as well.

However, I'd also suggest that for writing normal Windows applications that heavily use buttons, menus and so on, it would be worth looking into C# and Windows Forms since the C Win32 API is a bit of a pain to work with and the future certainly seems to be with the far easier C# .NET stuff.

There's a tutorial for Win32 basics at this site which I found incredibly useful. It explains the basics so well. The only problem is that it really only does teach the very basics.

The tutorial at this site is really good too. It teaches things like dialogue boxes, menus, icons etc etc.

As for a book, I'm pretty sure Petzold's book is generally considered to be the best. Think this is the one: click

[Edited by - Side Winder on April 5, 2007 6:42:39 AM]

Thanks clawer. The main reason I want to get to grips with the Win32 API is that I want to move on then to the OpenGL API. Now I know from the tutorials i have found on the net at least, all require use of the Win32 API to use the OpenGL API. Can anyone give me any insite in to how much knowledge of the Win32 API is required (If any at all) to start using the OpenGL API, Thanks.

Thanks EasilyConfused. I have actually already started them, however I understand some of the code, but some parts I just remember, and I know that alot of what is in the first tutorial is the Win API and OpenGL API. Now I have books to learn from about the OpenGL API, and I know there are tutorials on that site too, which teach the OpenGL API, but most of the Win API code in those tutorials is just explained what it does, but not what it actually is, so really Im just looking for something that breacks down everyline of code, and in effect explains what each function does and all its attributes! And I quess in real fact, I would have to learn the Win32 API then OpenGL! Anyways guys, thanks for your help, Ill read thorugh all the resources all you guys have suggested and hopefully will give me a good start there thanks again!