Sign in to follow this  
solidsnake_m16

Hello World failure

Well i ahve taken your advice on starting with either C# or PY so i took the liberty of choosing C# (as i tried PY and only seen that it does make 2d only games and i wanna do 3d games + i don't have much time to go into the 2d phase unless it is a must) Problem is every single document-book-tutorial i find on the internet somehow assumes am super C#-C-C++ genuis some how every book i read sudenly jump from what does C# means into write this code and here u done ur first program without even bothering to tell me what i have just done any help regarding this ... Thank you very much

Slow down man, whats the rush. It's unreasonable to go straight to 3D programming without taking the time and care to know how to program first. The tutorials and books are not assuming you are a super genius, they are just slowly trying to build up your knowledge of programming, even if it is temporarily superficial.

After you become better at programming, then you start to understand WHY you do certain things. Until then, just relax, slow down, and pay attention to what the tutorial is telling you.

Forget about 3D for now, infact forget about graphics. This may sound harsh, but understand that the things you want are things you have to spend a great amount of time sowing, so you may later reap.

Quote:
i don't have much time to go into the 2d phase unless it is a must

The jump from no graphics to 3D graphics is HUGE. I'm doing 2D graphics atm and even that's a large jump from no graphics. By doing 2D, you'll learn a lot of the concepts that you'll need for 3D. I guess if you're an absolute genius and know mathematics very well you'll manage but otherwise I'd really recommend doing 2D...

As far as books go, go here. The first link looks quite good.

Thank you all very much for replying the MSDN link is good i am trying it along with the search provided too getting some good knowledge (though i couldn't use VC#2005 EE as i don't hve SP 2 for some piracy issue)

about graphics actaully before i realised i wanna be a game designer i startted to learn 3d studio max and by now i can model stuff very good (as far as they aren't as complicated as a human) lil bit of animation and lil bit of texture (though 90% of the time i let a freind of mine do the texturing for me)

that is from where i said i don't wanna be into 2d before 3d that is all but as u guys are pros then u know better than me so any suggestion what 2d stuff i ought to learn along with C# so i can speed a lil my dream that is all (i just wanna speed it a lil not like do it in a day or so got some IRL problems that semi-obligate me to do those stuff lil faster that is all)

Edit : about me finding tutorials going fast is just i had a PY book at first time i treid any programing it took a whole chapter to start making anything like that all

Quote:
Original post by solidsnake_m16
Thank you all very much for replying the MSDN link is good i am trying it along with the search provided too getting some good knowledge (though i couldn't use VC#2005 EE as i don't hve SP 2 for some piracy issue)
So what are you using for C# development then? And what do you mean "some piracy issue"? We don't take kindly to software piracy on GDNet.

Quote:
[...]
(though i couldn't use VC#2005 EE as i don't hve SP 2 for some piracy issue)
[...]

Lol, except a banhammer to rain down on your head REAL soon. I've dialed the R for Ravuya.

Quote:

Just install it.

Quote:
Well i ahve taken your advice on starting with either C# or PY so i took the liberty of choosing C# (as i tried PY and only seen that it does make 2d only games and i wanna do 3d games + i don't have much time to go into the 2d phase unless it is a must)

It is a must. And before you do 2d games, it is a must that you make text-based apps to learn the language.

Learning to program (and learning to program games) takes time. That's just how it is. And no, it does not get easier by skipping the first steps.

Well when i bought my PC the guy i bought from gave me a win xp CD as a gift so i installed it and all but later when i tried to get SP 1 and SP 2 as normal updates for win i found out that my CD key isn't validate so that is how i got scammed :S and i am using sharp develop 2.1

Anything better i can use ?? unless somehow i can get SP 2 on this PC to instal VC# 2005 EE

Quote:
Well when i bought my PC the guy i bought from gave me a win xp CD as a gift so i installed it and all but later when i tried to get SP 1 and SP 2 as normal updates for win i found out that my CD key isn't validate so that is who i got scammed :S and i am using sharp develop 2.1

Anything better i can use ?? unless somehow i can get SP 2 on this PC to instal VC# 2005 EE

Microsoft has a deal where you can get a valid license if you tell them who sold you the pirated copy.

Ohh another fast question i made my first hello world kind of progeram but i get this weird thing when i tell the program to run+ compile it does compile but the DOS window like just show for 1 sec only where i can't even see what is written there or anything then fade ( i am usind Sharp Developer 2.1 )

This is Windows, not DOS. [grin]

I'm not sure how to keep the window open from within your IDE, but one way would be to set a breakpoint on the final curly brace of the application.

A console application (which is what you're writing) should exit cleanly when done and give control back to the OS. Inserting an extra "press a key to exit"-style piece of code is ugly and wrong.

Visual Studio lets you run without debugging (which keeps the window open for you) or redirect output to the Immediate window (which is part of the IDE so doesn't close with your application). Look in your IDE's help files.

Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender
Microsoft has a deal where you can get a valid license if you tell them who sold you the pirated copy.

This assumes he's purchased his copy of Windows in the first place, which is most probably not the case. Unfortunately, the norm in Egypt, as well as most other 3rd world countries, is that individuals (not corporates) pirate software--all software. I'm the only one I know who has a genuine copy of Windows here.

There are various reasons for this sad state of affairs, but one of the chief reasons is the price--software is sold here at the same price it's sold in the US or Europe, which is basically retarded. $200-$400 might not be much in the US, but here in Egypt it's way too steep. I don't have statistics at hand, unfortunately, but I can tell you that there's a large percentage of people with salaries in the range of $25-$100. A freshly graduated doctor makes (the equivalent of) $100 a month, if he works in a good place.

So, the clueless pirate; the technically informed use Linux. Microsoft recently realized this and have signed a deal with the ministry of education, where basically any Microsoft product can be sold to students and teaching staff at $1. We'll see how it goes.

Yup that is our problem i heared about that deal with microsoft but honestly i don't think it will be applied like what we think it will be, in any case as this isn't a polical forum ty vm for that u made that point out, about the IDE i didn't get waht u said about debugger and stuff (i am a tootal programer nubi)

Edit: and sorry to say this but corps too illigally copy the CDs too and i can give you a couple of examples if you want

Quote:
Yup that is our problem i heared about that deal with microsoft but honestly i don't think it will be applied

Think again. It's been in action for a couple of years now. Inquire the officials at your University, or contact Microsoft Egypt directly.

Quote:
like what we think it will be, in any case as this isn't a polical forum

This is a software forum. Many people here create and sell software for a living, and the rest aspire to. As such, no one takes kindly to piracy.

Quote:
Edit: and sorry to say this but corps too illigally copy the CDs too and i can give you a couple of examples if you want

I know. I was talking about the norm. Illegal copying among corporates isn't the norm, since they can be very easily turned in to the IP protection authorities, after which they will be fined a very respectable sum of money.

Well the thing with my university i don't think it will work lol and with microsoft egypt i will try contacting them through the site

I never said piracy should be taken easily, i hate thought something like my win version is pirated but that doesn't mean i like it, does it ?

and that is the main reason preventing me from telling some of my friends to give me a another CD key to try it till it work

Quote:
Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Unfortunately, the norm in Egypt, as well as most other 3rd world countries, is that individuals (not corporates) pirate software--all software. I'm the only one I know who has a genuine copy of Windows here.

I suspect it's ridiculously common for vendors to do it in the 1st world too, because...

Quote:
$200-$400 might not be much in the US, but here in Egypt it's way too steep.

$200-$400 for an operating system looks silly attached to a *computer* advertised at $400 (which I commonly see these days, and have actually seen for a while).

Quote:
So, the clueless pirate; the technically informed use Linux.

Clueless and/or lazy, I'd say. :) To me, installing an OS is a horrible thing to have to do (especially if the computer already has anything important on it) and I have a hard time justifying the effort simply to avoid dealing with an "inferior" OS.

Well lol till now i dunno why the window (the one that looks like the command prompt of DOS screen instant close) ..

I figured out that if i add some line called Console.ReadLine(); it will stay oen but it doesn't work for any example other than "Hello World" one

And i am having hard time to imply everything in the lessons i am looking into as they all depend on VC# 2005 EE ..