Assembly trouble

Started by
2 comments, last by LessBread 17 years ago
Hi guys. After trying to make more complicated programs in assembly I came across the same problem again and again: running out of registers. How should I compensate for this? I use push and pop to save and restore registers, and this way have more of them to use, but is there a better way? How should I use the stack to overcome this problem? What operations/instructions affect the ESI and EDI registers? Example: I'm trying to raise 1 complex number at a given power n. I run out of registers while doing this. The C++ version of the program would look like this:

#include <iostream>
#include <stdlib.h>
using namespace std;

class Complex
{
	public:
		Complex();
		Complex(int r, int i)
		{
			re = r;
			im = i;
		}

Complex power(int n)
		{
			int r = re;
			int i = im;
			while (n>1)
			{	
				int tre = re;
				re = re*r - im*i;
				im = tre*i + im*r;

n--;			
			}									

return *this;
		} 

int re, im;		
};

ostream& operator << (ostream& o, Complex c)
{
	o << c.re << " " << c.im << endl;	
	return o;
}

int main()
{
	Complex a(1,1);					 
	a.power(10);
	cout << a;

return 0;
}

But writing all this in assembly tends to complicate things(because I'm a begginer and all :) ) How should I solve the "run out of registers" problem elegantly and efficiently :), well if that asks too much, how should I solve it in the easiest way possible?
Advertisement
The obvious answer is to look at the assembly generated by MSVC and see what it does. All local variables are stored and accessed on the stack, using [ESP-4] etc.
In most cases, avoid push and pop in favor of direct stack addressing for your local storage. Also, consider the instruction forms that use a register and memory operand instead of using two register operands.
Quote:Original post by gpulove
What operations/instructions affect the ESI and EDI registers?

Instructions that work with the rep/repne instruction

rep movs, rep lods, rep stos, rep cmps, rep scas, etc.

These also affect Ecx
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement