quake 3 level

Started by
6 comments, last by ajm113 17 years ago
hi i want to load a quake 3 level, i've loaded the bsp, but it didnt load completely, ex: the tongue and in first level is missing, there is not any pillar and many more missings... are these models biezer surfaces? and how can i render them? thanx...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by iking
hi
i want to load a quake 3 level, i've loaded the bsp, but it didnt load completely, ex: the tongue and in first level is missing, there is not any pillar and many more missings...

are these models biezer surfaces? and how can i render them?
thanx...
Right, those surfaces are constructed from Bezier patches.

I might be able to give you some more tips later, but for now I'll just say that the vertex data for a 'patch' surface is intended to be interpreted as a set of control points. The control points define NxM quadratic Bezier patches.

You have to write the code to evaluate and render these patches yourself. This isn't too terribly difficult though, provided you don't get too fancy with LOD techniques.
well, at first, thanx for ur reply.
but i have a question(s)...
first, a friend of mine told me that those things (ex: the tongue) are models (meshs) and those vertices are included in the bsp file, but not as a part of
the bsp tree, but as independent models...

second, when i read a document about q3 bsp lumps, there was a lump called
kMeshVerts and the description was (Stores the model vertices offsets)
what is it for? maybe it is what my friend talked about.

thank u again
You might want to read Rendering Quake 3 Maps which explains who to draw the mesh and patch type polygons.
Quote:Original post by iking
first, a friend of mine told me that those things (ex: the tongue) are models (meshs) and those vertices are included in the bsp file, but not as a part of
the bsp tree, but as independent models...
I believe your friend is confused. The BSP format does include support for mesh models (e.g. the two statues in the courtyard of q3dm1), but the 'tongue' is created from quadratic Bezier patches.

Anyway, it looks like Scet's link has the info you need.
thank u very much
u were very helpful
Just curios... Does somebody know how Quake III handles collisions with patches? Did it check every polygon from the tesselated patch? Did it use a less tesselated version of the patch? Or did it just use the control points to figure out if there was a collision?
Just a small opinion but it also would not hurt to look at the SDK for quake 3 to help out your project.
Check out my open source code projects/libraries! My Homepage You may learn something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement