C++ books

Started by
2 comments, last by RelaxRelapse 17 years ago
I was searching through the forum and it looked like Sam's Learn C++ in 21 Days was the best book to learn it. I searched my local Barnes & Nobles, and Borders, but they didn't have it in stock. Are there any other good C++ books for beginners?
Advertisement
Deitel's C++: How to Program is what I used at school, and I still use it today. It does a good job of hammering OOP techniques and "the C++ way of doing things", but beware that it, along with many other books, don't quite give the reader a proper understanding of static, stack, and dynamic memory allocation, and the implications these things carry, e.g. calling the "default copy constructor" on an object in order to pass an object "by value" as an argument or to return it "by value".

Sam's Teach Yourself C in 21 Days is great, so I would assume the same about C++, but beware that C++ introduces a world of new complexities that you probably don't want to deal with right at first, if you are a beginning programmer.

The CS dept. at my school consistently recommends any and every O'Reilly book.
"Thinking in C++" is an amazing book, and free online. The only possible downside is, if I recall, Eckel assumes you know the basics of programming in general. I'd definitely take a look at it.
Thanks for the suggestions. apollodude I'll check out yours when I have time, and Dranith I'm checking out his website as I type this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement