Sign in to follow this  
luzarius

How do you avoid seams when you apply normal maps?

I've modeled a human in 3D Studio Max & then I took him into Zbrush where I upped the poly count and sculpted detail. I've created a normal map using Zmapper in Zbrush. I noticed that I have a problem with seams being visible when I apply the normal map in my game engine. I've learned that Normal Maps are notorious for showing seams but the good news is I believe there is a way to lay out UV's properly so seams won't be visible. Please observe the side of the leg in this screenshot. You will notice there are no seams at the side of his leg even though there is (The screenshot of the normal map is further down showing that I cut the side of the leg in the UV's) In this screenshot you will notice the visible seams at the shoulder, torso, arm are. So the question is why are there no seams at the side of the leg but seams at the shoulder,torso, arm area? Here is the normal map.

Hmmm...sometimes when opening files you get one or two flipped polygons - sometimes the whole lot. Ummm...also, your texture is overlapping in places so make sure Max doesnt overlap the UV lines as well.

Am I correct to assume that its your 3D engine? If not, e-mail the people who wrote it.

Other than that, I can only suggest posting this question on CGTalk.

How are you calculating your tangent vectors? If 2 triangles sharing an edge have different tangent vectors on the shared verts then you will run into problems unless the verts are made to be unique.