My DirectX ScreenSaver needs you !

Started by
1 comment, last by StratBoy61 17 years ago
Hello all, I am 99% done with my DirectX 3D screensaver. I am mainly waiting for art work, but the code is there... Below are some pictures that should link you to the page where the installer can be downloaded. A video (6,446KB ZIP file) can be downloaded too. TuxSaver screenshot #1 TuxSaver screenshot #2 TuxSaver screenshot #3 Could some of you please download the screensaver, install it and let me know mainly if it did *not* work on your machine ? If you experienced problems with it (program not starting, icons turning black, etc.), could you please check the debug options in the Readme.txt file, generate the debug traces files and send them over to me ? I am planning on a world release very soon ;) The screensaver will be completely free, obviously. There is a Paypal donation button already, for those who would feel charitable ;) The version you can evaluate today has minor known issues (the most visible one being the main character animation not looping correctly and missing a lantern), but maybe major unknown problems. I am expecting a lot from your feedback, so that I can target as many configurations as possible. I would like to make sure that once I am releasing the screensaver to a broader audience, it does not have *obvious* problems. Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers, StratBoy61
Advertisement
Nice. I have some questions/suggestions though.

1. Not all penguins come with lanterns. Is that intentional?
2. Leaving the text from the icons lying around makes the screensaver look very cluttered. I don't see the penguins doing anything with them. I would attache them to the icon pics, so they both get pushed.
3. It's not very clear what the boy is doing(spawning new icons, right?), it took me quite a while and another person to figure out what he was doing.

But it's very nice.

Levi
Thank you levjs for your feedback --at least I got one !
Quote:Original post by levjs
1. Not all penguins come with lanterns. Is that intentional?

Kinda. DirectX 9 has a limit of 8 lights. And unfortunately, I am using DirectX lights for the tux's head torch. I thought about creating a dynamic lightmap and use it, so that each tux could have its own helmet, but it was too complicated (the current light is a SPOT, not a POINT).
Quote:2. Leaving the text from the icons lying around makes the screensaver look very cluttered. I don't see the penguins doing anything with them. I would attache them to the icon pics, so they both get pushed.

You are right. I actually wanted to show the physics engine, and I thought that the more cluttered, the better ;) I should offer the option to have the icon and text attached together.
Quote:3. It's not very clear what the boy is doing(spawning new icons, right?), it took me quite a while and another person to figure out what he was doing.
OMG ! I am soooo disapointed ;) So the 'boy' cannot be recognized, is that right ? Mmmm, I wanted that character to be highly identifiable, you know, like someone you would associate with Linux, computers, windows... ;)
Yeah, he's supposed to replace the icons that fell from the desktop. Still need a little bit of work on that...

What could I do so that people recognize that character (without explicitly naming him)?
StratBoy61

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement