SDL GUI tutorials

Started by
1 comment, last by Sykth 17 years ago
Hey there, basically wondering if someone could point me in the direction of good tutorials for building a game GUI using SDL. Iv'e been scowering the internet for anything useful for a real time strategy game GUI such as C&C or warcraft's guis and have so far found nothing useful. Sorry if this question is asked all the time i did look through these forums to find a similar post and i did have a look at guichan but i couldn't find any tutorials for it either. Any help appreciated, dan
Advertisement
Is it just a 2D GUI you are after?

If you are after a 3D GUI (by which I mean it is rendered using something like OpenGL or DirectX rather than it looks 3D) and are programming in C++ I'd suggest checking out CEGUI (which can use OpenGL, DirectX or Irrlicht Renderers) (http://www.cegui.org.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page).

You can use SDL to grab IO events and then you inject them into the CEGUI system. There are tutorials on the site about how to do this, there's also example programs for you to take a look at and a good user base that'll help you out if you get stuck, once you've cracked the basics you can customize the components and make it look however you want...

If not I'm sure someone else can point you in a better direction :)
Yeah sorry i forgot to mention the game is 2d!

thanks for input regardless :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement