DDS textures: how?

Started by
3 comments, last by Aken H Bosch 17 years ago
I've seen them used in OpenGL, but I have no clue how. Right now I am working on a game and the uncompressed file size ballooned to 30 MB after adding an animation to it, something which is frankly not acceptable. So, the question is: how can I load and use DDS textures?
Signature go here.
Advertisement
Assuming DDS are DirectDraw Surface files, DDS File Reference
You can also use DevIL to load them. The function syntax is very similar to OpenGL.
Some things to keep in mind. You'll need to make sure your graphics card supports the extensions GL_ARB_texture_compression and GL_s3tc_texture_compression so that you can properly load dds textures that employ DXT 1, 3, & 5. If you have no idea what any of that meant, then I suggest you work with a simpler format for now, and wait till you've done some research before you employ dds textures.

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

Yes, DirectDraw Surface files is what I meant.

From what I've heard about them, they are somehow in the same format that the graphics card uses, and that makes them extra-small in filesize and also fast to use.

Is using a DDS texture just a matter of decoding it and plugging in pixel values, or does it directly plug in to something? I didn't understand the DDS File Reference page very well.

Edit: Why don't these forums notify of a post being made since you started typing your post?
Signature go here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement