Sign in to follow this  
Cloud Strife

nOObs trying to make a game

Hello, at the present moment some friends and myself have prompted to create a video game (an RPG to be exact). Now to tell you the truth we are only hardcore gamers and really have not clue how one is made. Though we are willing to learn. I have some experience in C++ and True Basic though that is all (meaning only the basics). I was wondering if anyone could give us some tips (other than "It's IMPOSSIBLE" please :D ) on things like what to choose for software. We don't have any money to spend and would like to use free software out there, I know of Blender for 3d models, and Game Maker, plus Anvil Studio for music, but have no clue what else to use. If we could here from the Masters of gaming and see what you have to say that would help us out a lot! What would your personal opinon on the Programming language we should choose along with other programs out there? (Is blitz basic free?) Thanks in advance.

I have created 2 commercial casual games using BlitzMax and GameMaker.

Now, as to your idea of creating an RPG. I would suggest doing it in 2D. 3D RPG requires a LOT of art.

If you do insist on making 3D RPG, then go with XNA. You could then develop for 360 and Win at the same time! :)

BlitzMax costs about $100 but it is well worth the price.

You can use Ogre3d (www.ogre3d.org) as a rendering engine.
I don't like it, that is why i write my own engine at the moment ;).

The main problem will be that you have only basic experience in C++.

In my opinion an RPG is one of the most complex gamestyle.
But why not.

Give it a try ;).

I'm doing it this way:
- 3D Engine
- Game Engine
- RPG

Me and my friends want to do an RPG too, but we have a lot experience i think.

It is not impossible, for beginners the best way i think is use Ogre3D for Rendering or try to make it first in 2D.

at least you didn't say an mmo =)

basicly you want to:

1.) get more experience with a programing language.
2.) decide on a graphics api(dx,ogl,xna, what ever), and get to know it inside and out.
3.) plan every last thing down on paper(or notepad, what ever suites you)
4.) plan some more.
5.) keep planing.
6.) review your plans.
7.) finaly, after you have everything planed out, start doing some code, and grapics.
8.) get the basic layout of the game done, then wory about adding in the extras later.

did i mention to plan everything out before you start.

the better your documentation is, the better suited you will be when it comes to actually doing things.

you can also add into that, decide on what platform you want the game to run on, and pick a open source game engine or write your own.

personaly i always recomend people to write your own engine, as it gives you even more insite on what goes on behind the scenes and lets you get to know the graphics api that you have chosed even better.

Alright, Apprciate all of the comments!

We have decided to code in C++ and from you guys what would you need to know from C++ to make an RPG?

And would blender be compatible with C++, I thought Blender was Python coding.

Xna and OGRE3D will not work on our computers, due to graphics card limitations. So I was think of the lines of a 2D game project to make it alot more simpler.

Yeah i would also suggest going with a 2d game there are many things that still need to be considered before you can consider what you are trygint to do. Ive sent you a private message with some stuff if you need some help.

The big problem that you'll run into won't be technology - it'll be content. Your average game - especially a fairly widely-scoped one like an RPG - requires a lot of content. You have to draw and animate all the characters, you have to draw and animate all the backgrounds, items, user interface pieces, etc... you have to get sounds and music, you have to write the dialog and design all the levels. (You don't have to do all these things, but you'll want to).

Underestimating the content requirement is probably the #1 reason that beginner projects fail; anyone can install RPG Maker and work through the tutorials but it falls apart when they realise just how much artistic and creative work needs to be done.

Quote:
Original post by Feralrath
3.) plan every last thing down on paper(or notepad, what ever suites you)
4.) plan some more.
5.) keep planing.
6.) review your plans.

Just loved that. But I'd say, loop through 3-6 a 1000x times...

Okayz, just kidding. But heck, I thing people just forgotten good ol' OpenGL after all, but take a look here:

http://nehe.gamedev.net

They have excellent tutorials about OpenGL which is a graphical API. You can start there, learn something about vectorial math and 3D rendering, then go do DX. I just say to learn OGL first because NeHe tutorials are OGL and they can teach a monkey to do some 3D apps in a single day.

Now, doing 2D games can be a pain... I'd recommend using SDL, but it's a bit hard (let the flames come) to get it working in the first place. What you can do is use OGL and bitmap textures. Not a elegant solution for a 2D game, but heck, a lot nicer than learning a lot of stuff right on. I've done my first 2D game like that (OGL rendering 2d surfaces parallel to screen), it was a pacman clone, and was excelent to learn a lot about game making.

Now, I know you don't want to hear "its impossible", but I will tell you one single thing: I started learning about game making and computer programming in 1997. From there to my first real "game", a small pong demo, there were 2 years. (I was 14 and didn't have any real commitment to it). Only now, 10 years later, I can program a simple game all by myself. So remember that it's a hard task that needs a lot of commitment. Tell your friends that.

And one final suggestion: make sure you find a friend who can do art!!! That was my major problem on most demos I made. We had 3-4 programmers, even team leaders, but no artist.

Hope this give you some insight.

Quote:
We have decided to code in Cpp and from you guys what would you need to know from Cpp to make an RPG?

I think you're approaching this from the wrong viewpoint. This sounds very "tell me the minimum I need to know to be able to do what I want", which is an incredibly INflexible solution. The more you know about a language, the better you can tackle bugs when they crop up, or the more efficiently you can solve problems.

Quote:
And would blender be compatible with Cpp, I thought Blender was Python coding.

Blender's compatibility is dependent on what file format you export your models with. A model file is a pile of information pertaining to all vertex coordinates, texture maps, animation sequences, etc. How all that info is used by the game engine is what dictates which format you need to export to. (.x, .3ds, and so on)

If you have the fire in your heart, you will do it! I just started to learn the concepts of game programming about 8 months ago, and I have already produced a couple simple games (2d shooter and a 3d tetris clone) and even been paid a couple times for helping other people.

To be honest I cheated a little though. I used an IDE called DX Studio, which uses javascript for their scripting language. I have read several different topics about game programming, and I am now starting to learn C++.

I am now enrolled in college and majoring in Computer Science. Those people who say it are 'impossable' are talking to the other 100,000 people who don't have the desire to make it in the industry, and don't have the dedication and desire in their hearts to create the best game that was ever made!

Take inventory of your resources. Who will do what? What will need to be done? What will the mechanics of your game be? Why will people play your game? I will agree with everyone else who said to plan.

"The accuracy and extent in which you plan or DON'T plan, will have a great impact on the end product. However, there will be a point while planning in which action is required to further development." ~ BUnzaga

So don't get discouraged, keep your eyes on the goal, and be realistic.