nOObs trying to make a game

Started by
11 comments, last by BUnzaga 17 years ago
Hello, at the present moment some friends and myself have prompted to create a video game (an RPG to be exact). Now to tell you the truth we are only hardcore gamers and really have not clue how one is made. Though we are willing to learn. I have some experience in C++ and True Basic though that is all (meaning only the basics). I was wondering if anyone could give us some tips (other than "It's IMPOSSIBLE" please :D ) on things like what to choose for software. We don't have any money to spend and would like to use free software out there, I know of Blender for 3d models, and Game Maker, plus Anvil Studio for music, but have no clue what else to use. If we could here from the Masters of gaming and see what you have to say that would help us out a lot! What would your personal opinon on the Programming language we should choose along with other programs out there? (Is blitz basic free?) Thanks in advance.
I've thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you DESPAIR!
Advertisement
I am by no means a master but all your questions can be answered here:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/
Perhaps you could take a look at XNA:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/xna/default.aspx

and

http://creators.xna.com

XNA is totally aimed at beginning game developers. As for 3D asset creation, Blender, Milkshape and XSI Foundation are all free or low-cost options.

Regards
----------------------------- Jan-Jaap Severs Grendel Games[ Grendel Games ]
am a nubi too actaully but it happens i saw this link while brwosing on this forum heep://www.gamedev.net/refrence/articles/article2259.asp

Should be helpful i think

and it seems very possible ;)

GL :)
I have created 2 commercial casual games using BlitzMax and GameMaker.

Now, as to your idea of creating an RPG. I would suggest doing it in 2D. 3D RPG requires a LOT of art.

If you do insist on making 3D RPG, then go with XNA. You could then develop for 360 and Win at the same time! :)

BlitzMax costs about $100 but it is well worth the price.
You can use Ogre3d (www.ogre3d.org) as a rendering engine.
I don't like it, that is why i write my own engine at the moment ;).

The main problem will be that you have only basic experience in C++.

In my opinion an RPG is one of the most complex gamestyle.
But why not.

Give it a try ;).

I'm doing it this way:
- 3D Engine
- Game Engine
- RPG

Me and my friends want to do an RPG too, but we have a lot experience i think.

It is not impossible, for beginners the best way i think is use Ogre3D for Rendering or try to make it first in 2D.
at least you didn't say an mmo =)

basicly you want to:

1.) get more experience with a programing language.
2.) decide on a graphics api(dx,ogl,xna, what ever), and get to know it inside and out.
3.) plan every last thing down on paper(or notepad, what ever suites you)
4.) plan some more.
5.) keep planing.
6.) review your plans.
7.) finaly, after you have everything planed out, start doing some code, and grapics.
8.) get the basic layout of the game done, then wory about adding in the extras later.

did i mention to plan everything out before you start.

the better your documentation is, the better suited you will be when it comes to actually doing things.

you can also add into that, decide on what platform you want the game to run on, and pick a open source game engine or write your own.

personaly i always recomend people to write your own engine, as it gives you even more insite on what goes on behind the scenes and lets you get to know the graphics api that you have chosed even better.
Alright, Apprciate all of the comments!

We have decided to code in C++ and from you guys what would you need to know from C++ to make an RPG?

And would blender be compatible with C++, I thought Blender was Python coding.

Xna and OGRE3D will not work on our computers, due to graphics card limitations. So I was think of the lines of a 2D game project to make it alot more simpler.
I've thought of a wonderful present for you. Shall I give you DESPAIR!
Yeah i would also suggest going with a 2d game there are many things that still need to be considered before you can consider what you are trygint to do. Ive sent you a private message with some stuff if you need some help.
"choices always were a problem for you......" Maynard James Keenan
The big problem that you'll run into won't be technology - it'll be content. Your average game - especially a fairly widely-scoped one like an RPG - requires a lot of content. You have to draw and animate all the characters, you have to draw and animate all the backgrounds, items, user interface pieces, etc... you have to get sounds and music, you have to write the dialog and design all the levels. (You don't have to do all these things, but you'll want to).

Underestimating the content requirement is probably the #1 reason that beginner projects fail; anyone can install RPG Maker and work through the tutorials but it falls apart when they realise just how much artistic and creative work needs to be done.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement