Sign in to follow this  
BloodWarrior

installing J2ME game on Nokia not as application but as game.

Heyas Ok, I managed to get something running on my J2ME pet project. Emulator was working fine so I went up and uploaded it to my Nokia 6230i No problems except that it only loads as an application. I cant seem to make it a game... ie: instead of being on the game menu its at the applications. In all its not so bad but I was wondering if anyone knows how to pass the game to the Games folder in a Nokia phone. Yours Truly K

You need to add a line to the JAD file specifying that it's a game. By default, all MIDlets go into the application folder. (Note: this only works for OTA provisioning.) Clicky

Thanks Sneftel!
Ill bother about setting up some way of installing the application OTA (over the air) later on.

I suppose I need to create a wap website for it anyways but since the application is not finished I wont bother for now.

Yours Truly
K

Quote:
Original post by BloodWarrior
I suppose I need to create a wap website for it anyways

You don't need a wap site to download the app to your phone. You just need to host it on a web server where the MIME types for jad and jar files are configured correctly.

jar - application/java-archive
jad - text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

shmoove

Forgive the intrusion but I've been dabbling in j2me somewhat and recently uploaded a first test to a friends phone (wich worked nicely BTW). But if we downloaded the jar file through URL (as in kirl.nl/FixedPBall.jar) it ended up as a .RAR archive, so we had to download the files by logging in to my admin area.

Is this what you are talking about, shmoove?

I'm not familiar with downloading software for phones so I don't know the standard procedure, but I'd like to just link to whatever phone app I have up so people without admin acces can download it if they wish.

well... I havent tried downloading the software from a webserver but I do have some experience with server mime types (jnlp is the same)

when you make a request to a server they reply sending data according to the mime type of the data.

so if a file has an extension .something the server looks up the extension and then knows whats going on, ie: its html or its an application to download, etc etc.

It looks like your server hasnt got a clue what a jad or jar file is so you need to tell him.

Go to the server settings (if you can) and add the mime types that shmoove provided

jar - application/java-archive
jad - text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor

So that whenever he finds a .jar files he understands its a application/java-archive etc etc etc.

In IIS servers to change the properties enter Internet Information services from control panel then right click the directory (or from the root, up to you) and choose properties. Click on HTTP Headers tab and on the bottom there is a mime map button. enter the new mime types and restart the entire server (full reboot for IIS as it is quite weird sometimes with this).

You should be ok. Tomcat, apache and otehr servers I dont know how to update but google is your friend.

This was a very quick simple explanation of mime types. Feel free to correct anything.

Yours Truly
K