Good Purchases?

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years ago
I recently purchased a Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT OC AGP video card for $45 and a saphire Radeon X800 GTO ( can be modded to use 16 pipes and increase clocks ) AGP for $95. Both have 256mb of ram, and I also got a GATEWAY MX7118 for $450( dvd burner, athlon 64 3400+, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd ). I plan to use the laptop for school and work( maybe a bit of light game programming, x200 graphics intergrated ). I know the laptop can run about $600 - $700 but did I get a deal on the video cards? This might not be the best fourm to post this question in but I will be using all of these for game programming ;) On a side note is it possible to upgrade the cpu of the laptop?
Advertisement
You can upgrade the laptops that are customized to be upgraded. Alienware and some other companies sell them but to upgrade them you have to send in the laptop to the companies. The laptops use specialized hardware.
The gateway laptop uses the 754(?) socket. I wanted to know if I could replace the mobile athlon 64 3400+ with a mobile 4000+ or turion mt-40 cpu. I dont want to drop $200 on the 4000+ just to find out it wont work.
Moving to the Hardware forum.
Upgrading laptops is seldom the right choice, as you can only upgrade one component. Besides, a faster CPU needs more cooling, which the laptop may not be able to provide. And going from a 3400 to a 4000 isn't that much added performance (10-15%) to be worth it.

I think you got a fair deal on that GeForce 6800. I'm not so sure about the X800 considering it's not a SM 3.0 part; I wouldn't have paid that much compared to what's out there new these days.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement