Problems on Vista?

Started by
12 comments, last by Palidine 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, Having problems compiling visual c++ v6.0 programs on our new vista machine. Programs that worked fine on XP now generate hundreds (liteally) of syntax errors in windef.h and wingdi.h. Examples: c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(171) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPARAM' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(171) : error C2059: syntax error : ';' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(172) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LRESULT' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(172) : error C2059: syntax error : ';' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(204) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '{' before '*' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(205) : error C2143: syntax error : missing '{' before '*' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(206) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'HGLOBAL' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(206) : error C2059: syntax error : ';' We did all the "prep" work with visual c+++ (adding glut.h, glu.h, etc to \include\GL, etc.) but it still gives us the errors. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance
Advertisement
This is a complete guess.. but looking at your errors I'm wondering if you need to download and install the platform SDK?
I'll go on the Microsoft website and give that a try...will let you know what happens. Thanks
Make sure windows.h is included before you try to include GL or GLUT, too.
Quote:Original post by wcottee
Having problems compiling visual c++ v6.0 programs on our new vista machine.
c:\program files\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\windef.h(171) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPARAM'
You're saying that you're compiling on Vista using VC6.0 and VC6.0 header files?
If so, I'm surprised you managed to get so far with it.
I must say I was also trying to mantain VC6 (I was happy with it after all). A few years ago however, the time needed to fix header issues did accumulate and I gave VC2005 a try.
It's a definite step foward. You should really update it (MS gives you the Express version for free).

Previously "Krohm"

I hate the express edition - it doesn't even have a resource editor! Stay with the standard edition, even if it's old. Obviously the new standard edition is ideal, but I strongly prefer the old standard to the new express. (see my other thread at http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=443057)
hackerkey://v4sw7+8CHS$hw6+8ln6pr8O$ck4ma4+9u5Lw7VX$m0l5Ri8ONotepad++/e3+8t3b8AORTen7+9a17s0r4g8OP
nemesisgeek ; yours is a relatively unqiue case where upgrading isn't an option.

For the vast majority of users, including those programming OpenGL, having a standard compliant tool is going to be more important than a lack of resource editor.

(also, for anyone starting a new GUI project C++ is totally the wrong tool these days, C# would be much better)
Quote:Original post by phantom
nemesisgeek ; yours is a relatively unqiue case where upgrading isn't an option.

For the vast majority of users, including those programming OpenGL, having a standard compliant tool is going to be more important than a lack of resource editor.

(also, for anyone starting a new GUI project C++ is totally the wrong tool these days, C# would be much better)

Unless you have to pass data between your C++ code and the C# UI. Then you have to code all the pain in the butt marshal by ref statements or do special conversions, especially for things like strings, etc....

There is nothing wrong with doing the UI in C++, you can access any of the features you can in C#. No difference at all besides the syntax.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org

*Shrug* Depends on the existing GUI library framework you already have.
Quote:Original post by Yann L

*Shrug* Depends on the existing GUI library framework you already have.

Ditto. Personal opinion. I agree with YannL, right tools with C++ is just as easy as C#. Depends on what you want to use and do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement