• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
stanlo

Sky dome texture mapping help

This topic is 4216 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I wanted to use a sky dome in my simulation, but I don't have a sky dome mesh. I tried making a hemisphere, but I don't know how to generate texture coordinates for the vertices where y = 1 (in a DirectX coordinate system). Being a naive sort of fellow, I took the naive approach and generated a sky texture using the u texture coordinate to be the yaw and the v to be the pitch in spherical coordinate world. The entire hemisphere can be nicely unwrapped onto the skydome texture - except for the very top. I understand why this occurs. I feel like this is a problem that's been solved a long time ago and I just don't know where to look to find the solution.

Advertisement
Use a geodesic hemisphere instead. It's a lot harder to unwrap, but doesn't result in singularities at the poles.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!