Reverb question

Started by
4 comments, last by tyler_the_tyler 17 years ago
REVERB!!! How do I do it? What am i supposed to do with the room size, length, and dampening? whats the wet sound and the dry sound? any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance. Tyler
Advertisement
Here, check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverberation
When synthesizing a real-life effect, it's best if you know what it is and how it works. :)
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P
thanks for the site but it didnt really explain to me what i want to know... it had some good information and everything but i still dont know what the different knobs on my program(kristal) do. I might be complicating with this but this is the best place i thought for information. thanks again.

Tyler
Google is your friend.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/effects_reverb.html
You're looking at a wanna-be right now :P
I'm by no means an expert!

It depends on what kind of reverb sound you're after, what mood you want to set. A good reverb setup can make a tremendous difference. Reverb is a quite complex subject!

A reverb contains of three parts - direct signal, early reflections and the reverb tail (late reflections). Imagine a sound source in the middle of a room right in front of a microphone. Sound will be travelling in all directions. The direct signal is the signal going directly from the source into the mic. This is the dry signal. Sound bouncing off the nearby surfaces such as the floor will reach the microphone a bit later, and sound that bounces off more surfaces (floor->wall->ceiling->mic) will reach it even later. The sound will continue to bounce off everything and slowly decay. Reverb!

If you choose 100% dry you will only get the direct signal without any reflections. If you choose 100% wet you will only get the reverb portion of the sound, the reflections.

Room size is pretty explanatory, low for small room, big for large rooms. It therefore affects the delay between the direct signal and the reflections giving an impression of size.

Length I guess refers to the length of the reverb tail which would be the same as decay and maybe even diffusion, and will determine how long the reverb tail (the late reflections bouncing around) is audible (effectively how rough the surfaces are that the sound bounces off, the more surface area the more reflections/diffuse sound).

Dampening means attenuation and refers most of the time to the higher frequencies of the reverb, allowing you to well dampen them :P

Play around with it, start with everything at pretty much 0 and work your way up, you'll definately hear the difference between the settings.
________________________________pro.gram.mer - an organism that turns caffeine into code
Thanks,
Thats what i was looking for :)

Tyler

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement