C++ - Delete, copy constructor, and assignment operator

Started by
10 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years ago
I have a question on proper coding practice. I have written two classes, texture and bitmap. A texture has a bitmap member (a pointer named m_Bitmap). Because a Bitmap has resources that must be managed (dynamically allocated memory), if I create a Texture which creates a Bitmap, and then later copy some other Texture into my original Texture, I have to clean up the Bitmap I created before. So I've written a Copy method that both the copy constructor and the assignment operator will call. The question is, should I explicitly clean up the Bitmap in Texture::Copy:

void Texture::Copy(const Texture& newTexture)
{
   if(m_Bitmap != NULL)
   {
      delete m_Bitmap;
      m_Bitmap = NULL;
   }
   m_Bitmap = new Bitmap(newTexture.m_Bitmap);
}

Should I do it in Bitmap::Copy:

Bitmap::~Bitmap()
{
   Delete();
}

void Bitmap::Delete()
{
   if(m_Data == NULL)
      return;

for(int i = 0; i < m_Width; i++)
      delete [] m_Data;
   delete m_Data;
   m_data = NULL;
}

void Bitmap::Copy(const Bitmap& newBitmap)
{
   Delete();
}

{
}

Or should I do both:

Bitmap::~Bitmap()
{
   Delete();
}

void Bitmap::Delete()
{
   if(m_Data == NULL)
      return;

for(int i = 0; i < m_Width; i++)
      delete [] m_Data;
   delete m_Data;
   m_Data = NULL;
}

void Bitmap::Copy(const Bitmap& newBitmap)
{
   Delete();
}

{
   if(m_Bitmap == NULL)
   {
      delete m_Bitmap;
      m_Bitmap = NULL;
   }
}

Now I believe all of those will get the job done (I just typed them here and now so there may be a typo or something I didn't think of), and the last solution is particularly redundant. However I actually think it might be the best solution, as it combines the safety of the Bitmap's copy cleaning up the resources (so if anyone forgets to do so when making such a copy it still gets done), as well as clearly expresses its intent to clean up the bitmap's resources before re-assigning the pointer. So which, if any, of these solutions is the proper way to go about handling a situation like this? Also, is this: delete m_Bitmap; m_Bitmap = NULL; redundant? Does delete set m_Bitmap to NULL automatically? I've always just done it myself.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Advertisement
Personally, I would replace your m_Bitmap pointer with a std::auto_ptr<Bitmap>. Then, in the copy constructor for Texture, call m_Bitmap.reset(new Bitmap(copyObject.m_Bitmap));

This will set the auto_ptr to point to a new Bitmap object which is copy-constructed from the other Texture's m_Bitmap. The old Bitmap will be freed automatically. Better yet, this removes the need for Texture to manually free m_Bitmap in the destructor.

(Oh, and delete does not automatically set the pointer to NULL, so doing it yourself is a very good idea. delete NULL; is defined to have no effect, so no worries about deleting already-NULL pointers, either.)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
(Oh, and delete does not automatically set the pointer to NULL, so doing it yourself is a very good idea. delete NULL; is defined to have no effect, so no worries about deleting already-NULL pointers, either.)
Well, in most implementations it does not set the pointer to NULL, although the standard leaves it to the implementor. Stroustrup himself hoped that most implementors would do so, but they mostly did not. You certainly can't assume it anyway.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Yes, the auto pointer suggestion is a good one. Thank you.

However the question remains, as there are other resources besides dynamically allocated memory to be cleaned up. The texture itself, for example, will require a call to glDeleteTextures before I can assign it a new texture ID. So where in the grand copy scheme do you guys think that should take place?

Thanks again, ApochPiQ.
Wrap your resource in an object, create the resource in the constructor and destroy it in the destructor. This way, the lifetime of the resource becomes is the same as the lifetime of the object, which you can control with normal or smart pointers depending on your needs.

Alternatively, some smart pointers, such as boost::shared_ptr, allow you to specify the deletion function (which may be something other than delete).
I'm with ToohrVyk on this - your design suggests that you are not using RAII properly. Each instance of Texture should correspond to precisely one texture resource. If you want a different texture resource, get a different instance of Texture.

In general, if you find yourself in a situation where you need to re-seat an object with instance data from another object, there's a good chance you have a design flaw.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought that was exactly what I was trying to do...

Say I had 3 textures and 2 bitmaps:

Bitmap grassBMP("grass.bmp");
Bitmap rockBMP("rock.bmp");

Texture texA(grassBMP);
Texture texB(grassBMP);
Texture texC(rockBMP);

Even though texA and texB look exactly the same and contain the exact same image VALUES, they reference two completely different blocks of memory because I do deep copies of the bitmaps. Each also has a completely different texture ID.

When I do this:

texB = texC

texB's old bitmap is deleted, as is the OpenGL texture associated with it. It then does another deep copy of texC's bitmap, is assigned a new texture ID (this step may not be necessary, I'm not sure), and a new texture is generated from the newly created (albeit copied) bitmap.

So each object references a completely separate set of data and a completely different texture (as registered with the OpenGL "server") as the others. Because of this, when a copy happens the old objects must be completely cleaned up before the new assignment happens, but because each references entirely separate data/textures, there are no conflicts with the other objects.

Is this not correct?
Too much work. Why not simply do the following:

class Texture {  GLTexture glTexture;  Bitmap bmp;public:   Texture & operator=(const Texture& other)   {    bmp = other.bmp;    glTexture = GLTexture(bmp);  }};
So are the old values for bmp and glTexture getting cleaned up in their respective assignment operators, then? This is precisely what I was asking with the original question.
Right. So, if you have a GLTexture class as well, I had just misunderstood what you were saying about the GL texture handling.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement