• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ConorH

Dynamic Array Woes

This topic is 4095 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Fairly new to C++ and want to make an Array that I can add new elements, take some away, rearrange the order and such. With some tutorials I have read, none seem to be able to explain how I do this though. I have an inkling that these are properties of another concept (vector, map?) Tar

Advertisement
Questions:
1) Does the data have to be in a contiguous memory block?
2) From where do you want to remove elements? (Front, back or anywhere?)

Quote:
Original post by ConorH
Fairly new to C++ and want to make an Array that I can add new elements, take some away, rearrange the order and such. With some tutorials I have read, none seem to be able to explain how I do this though. I have an inkling that these are properties of another concept (vector, map?)

Tar

Arrays are usually static in size - that is, once you create the array, it stays at the size that you created it. It is possible to flag items in the array as in-use or not, but technically, they are still there. You probably want to look into something called a linked list. A linked list will allow you to add and remove items in the list, as well as reorder them.

Im using my vector/list to store SDL_Surface* but when I try and return the reference for it, it gives me an error

std::list<SDL_Surface*> im;

int cSprite::LoadImage(const char* _file)
{
//Add the loaded file onto vector list
im.push_back(Gfx.LoadImage(_file));
return im.end();
}

1>.\engine.cpp(111) : error C2440: 'return' : cannot convert from 'std::list<_Ty>::_Iterator<_Secure_validation>' to 'int'
1> with
1> [
1> _Ty=SDL_Surface *,
1> _Secure_validation=true
1> ]

I want to be able to get the reference from the function though :(
Any ideas? I can see that Im doing something wrong here
edit: I assume that references arent in the form of int's then. Im used to referencing array elements with ints/int literals from when I used DarkBasic

Quote:
Original post by ConorH
std::list<SDL_Surface*> im;

int cSprite::LoadImage(const char* _file)
{
//Add the loaded file onto vector list
im.push_back(Gfx.LoadImage(_file));
return im.end();
}
Two problems are immediately evident here:

1. list::end() returns an iterator that points 'one past the end' of the list. It appears you want to access the last item added to the list; to do so, use list::back().

2. The function return type is int, but you're trying to return an SDL_Surface*.

I recommend fixing these errors and then re-posting your code (as there are some other areas where improvements could be made).

If list::end()/back() returns an iterator for the last element, how come its returning the value of it (SDL_Surface*)?

Im trying to abstract the use of SDL_Surfaces, and just use image numbers for instance, so that's why I want to return the iterator

Quote:
Original post by ConorH
If list::end()/back() returns an iterator for the last element, how come its returning the value of it (SDL_Surface*)?

list::end() returns an iterator that is after the last valid iterator. It doesn't have an associated value and should not be dereferenced. If the iterator is bidirectional (it is, for a list), you may decrement a copy of end() to reach the last element.

list::back() returns a reference to the last element: it's neither an iterator nor a value.

Either way, an iterator is not an integer, so a function which has an int return type should not and cannot return an iterator.

EDIT: an alternative:

// Use integers as identifiers. They are recycled.
template<typename T>
class IDMap
{
std::vector<T*> elements;
std::vector<int> free_indices;
public:
T& operator[](int i)
{
assert (i >= 0);
assert (i < elements.size());
assert (elements);
return *elements;
}

int add(T& element)
{
if (free_indices.empty())
{
elements.push_back(&element);
return elements.size() - 1;
}

else
{
int index = free_indices.back();
free_indices.pop_back();
elements[index] = &element;
return index;
}
}

void remove(int index)
{
assert (i >= 0);
assert (i < elements.size());
assert (elements);

elements[index] = 0;
free_indices.push_back(index);
}
};

This object is responsible for translating indices into object pointers and vice versa, and may be used as part of a greater system which only lets the indices be public.

Of course, wrapping the texture in an object would be a much better way of abstracting this.

K, confused now. 2 Questions,
What's the diffrence between reference and iterator?
and
How can I return an iterator?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!