BMFont : Rotated Unicode characters ?

Started by
2 comments, last by WitchLord 17 years ago
Hi, First of all, kudos to WitchLord for the BMFont tool, I've been using the tool for several projects until now and its really saves us a lot of troubles exporting bitmap font. Thanks a lot.. I'm trying to use the tool to export unicode characters, but for some subsets of the unicode characters, the characters are 90 degrees rotated to the left? (rotated to horizontal position) For example, look at this Japanese katakana subset, first character on the top left: If I use window's charmap tool to view the U +30A1 (first character on the katakana subset) it actually looks like this : So its seems the character is rotated 90 degrees to the left.. Another obvious example is if I select the "enclosed alpha numerics subset": Is this suppose to happen? However, I probably could swap the x,y position upon initializing the characters but the problem is theres no exported information whether a character has this rotation or not. And the rotation only occurs on certain subsets of the Unicode only... Thanks in advance...
Advertisement
This is very strange. BMFont doesn't do any rotation of the fonts, so I can't even begin to guess how you ended up with rotated characters. Especially not when only some of the subsets are rotated.

Is this happening to all fonts? Or just some? What font are you using?

What Windows are you using? Is it a non-english version?

Is this a recent problem? Or did earlier versions of BMFont have this problem too?

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

hey, thanks for the reply..

After reading your answer, I realized that I was probably using the wrong font, was using @Arial Unicode MS (note the @) in the screenshot. Switching the selected font to "Arial Unicode MS" (without the @) solves the problem, hmm I wonder how come I got double font entries in the list for some of my Windows fonts, and for all fonts with the "@" symbol in front of the name, some of the unicode subsets are rotated....

Anyway, It has been solved now, thanks!
Great tool btw.. ;)
That's interesting. I have some fonts with @ in the beginning of the name and they are indeed rotated. I'll have to investigate this. I'm glad it is just for some font files though, because it will probably not be easy to fix this.

Happy to hear you like the tool. :D

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement