[web] How do I start web development?

Started by
2 comments, last by Enderic 17 years ago
There is much to learn, but someone please tell me where to start. I have no background on SQL or HTML. I do know some Ruby, and I am eager to learn how to use Ruby On Rails. Links and books would be helpful. Thanks. My main operating system is Linux, but I am willing to install Windows, if necessary.
Advertisement
Hi Enderic

For a better starting off with ruby on rails, i strongly recommend you to purchase 'agile web development with rails (2nd ed.)'

It's a different book. It will cover everything you'll need to know in order to begin programming your first web-app.

As long as you keep reading that book, you'll get more and more skilled.

Since you already know ruby, I'm almost sure you'll enjoy very much your reading.

*No need to install Windows unless you're really horny for that :)
I strongly recommend you get familiar with HTML and CSS too. There are a plethora of resources found in the Resources sticky.

There are two aspects of web development, the client side and the server side. You have &#106avascript, CSS and HTML for the client side, while with Ruby on Rails, that is the server side. For server side, everything is executed on the server's end and the results, if any, are sent to the browser. The client side is every user that accesses a website and is run locally in the web browser.

Getting familiar with HTML and CSS is pretty simple, though there are certain tricks that have to be done with CSS for it to be interpreted as you intend on multiple browsers. Using RoR is fine, but if you don't know HTML or CSS, your site may run great, but it could look like crap. But with the proper knowledge, your site could also r0x0rz muh s0x0rz.

On a side note, stick with Linux. Only go to Windows if you're wanting to learn .NET. In the corporate world, there are far more .NET jobs than PHP/RoR jobs, but PHP/RoR jobs do exist.
Alright, thanks for the help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement