questions about handling copyrights

Started by
3 comments, last by SimonForsman 17 years ago
Hello all, 1) Let's say I have copyrighted a game. But then I make bug fixes, add a new level, tweak the GUI, or change the game in any way. Do I have to get a completely new copyright? 2) Is there some kind of special tax on the holder of a copyright? Are there any monetary costs to having a copyright besides the small initial payment? 3) Also, do copyrights have to be renewed after a certain amount of time? Thanks, synth_cat
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
Advertisement
Copyrights are free and automatic. Copyrighted material does not spontaneously disappear as long as you're alive, and reverts to public domain some time after your death.

Are you thinking of registered copyrights ?
syn wrote:

>1) Let's say I have copyrighted a game. But then I make bug fixes, add a new level, tweak the GUI, or change the game in any way. Do I have to get a completely new copyright?

Depends. Were your changes so significant that they changed the essence of the game's look, words, and sounds in a major way?

>2) Is there some kind of special tax on the holder of a copyright?

No.

>Are there any monetary costs to having a copyright besides the small initial payment?

The copyright cost is deductible from your taxes (it's a business expense).

>3) Also, do copyrights have to be renewed after a certain amount of time?

When I make changes to one of my web pages, I extend the copyright date on that page. An article I wrote in 2003, but amended in 2007, has the copyright notice "© 2003, 2007" on it. There is no benefit in dropping the 2003 from the notice.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Are you thinking of registered copyrights ?

Yes, I'm talking about registered copyrights.

Quote:syn wrote:

>1) Let's say I have copyrighted a game. But then I make bug fixes, add a new level, tweak the GUI, or change the game in any way. Do I have to get a completely new copyright?

Depends. Were your changes so significant that they changed the essence of the game's look, words, and sounds in a major way?

No - the kind of changes I'm talking about would not make the game unrecognizable. Even so, I'm just wondering if I'm under any legal obligation to register a new copyright if I make any sort of change.

The reason I ask this is that I would like to copyright my game now even though it isn't finished yet (particularly because I'm already talking to publishers about this game.) Is this OK?

Quote:When I make changes to one of my web pages, I extend the copyright date on that page. An article I wrote in 2003, but amended in 2007, has the copyright notice "© 2003, 2007" on it. There is no benefit in dropping the 2003 from the notice.

Are you talking about registered copyrights?
Greg Philbrick, Game Developercoming soon . . . Overhauled CellZenith
Quote:Original post by synth_cat
Hello all,

1) Let's say I have copyrighted a game. But then I make bug fixes, add a new level, tweak the GUI, or change the game in any way. Do I have to get a completely new copyright?

2) Is there some kind of special tax on the holder of a copyright? Are there any monetary costs to having a copyright besides the small initial payment?

3) Also, do copyrights have to be renewed after a certain amount of time?

Thanks,
synth_cat

1)
In any nation that have signed the Berne Convention Copyright is automatic, free and is valid for 70 years after the death of the author. (for companies its a rather high number of years after the first publication, can't remeber exactly)

2) No. Free and Automatic.

3) No.

The US have signed the Berne Convention and does follow it to some extent (There are a few minor exceptions such as allowing people to transfer all rights or waiver all rights) (Most European countries doesn't allow the transfer or waiver of credit rights)

There is also some issues with copyright registration in the US, Its not necessary but it seems as if it can help in case of a dispute. (Talk to your lawyer (You US people have your own personal lawyers tucked away in your closets right?))

There is no need to put a copyright notice on anything anymore (Prior to 1979 it was necessary to include a copyright notice to recieve any protection in the US)
today its only used to remind others that you hold the Copyright. (Even works without a notice are protected).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement