Quick .dat question

Started by
7 comments, last by Acid rain 17 years ago
Howdy, OK, so I encountered a small problem with .dat files. I am doing this:

ofstream file;

int noob=50;

file.open("thingy.dat");
file << noob << endl;

Just to make teh file (test program) But now I want to access the variable "noob" from .dat file "file" in a different program. How do I do that?
------------------------------Trust me, I do this all the time.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Acid rain
But now I want to access the variable "noob" from .dat file "file" in a different program. How do I do that?
In short, you do the opposite:

ifstream file;int noob;file.open("thingy.dat");file >> noob;

There's more to it of course (error checking, for one thing), but that's the essence of it.
Does that only work for DOS apps? I want to grab the value and pass it to a function that Renders it to the screen. How do I do that?
Quote:Does that only work for DOS apps?
No, it's just C++ - it has nothing to do with DOS (not directly at least).
Quote:I want to grab the value and pass it to a function that Renders it to the screen. How do I do that?
Depends on what you mean by 'render'. If you just want to display the value, you can print it to the console using a global stream object such as cout.
By render I meen DRAW to the screen. I have a function ( from Allegro library ) that excepts an integer and blits it to the screen. How would I pass the variable "noob" from file "file" to such a function? I JUST need to grab the "noob" variable.
By render I meen DRAW to the screen. I have a function ( from Allegro library ) that excepts an integer and blits it to the screen. How would I pass the variable "noob" from file "file" to such a function? I JUST need to grab the "noob" variable.
After extracting the value from the file stream as demonstrated in my previous example, just pass the noob variable as an argument to the Allegro function in question. (I'm not familiar with the Allegro API, so I can't be more specific than that.)
What if I wanted to do something like this:

ofstream file;int noob=50;file.open("thingy.dat");file << "NOOB: " << endl;file << noob << endl;

So that I could open the .dat file in windows NOTEPAD and edit the variables value. How would I then load the variable?
What if I wanted to do something like this:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

So that I could open the .dat file in windows NOTEPAD and edit the variables value. How would I then load the variable?
Editing the text file is unrelated to reading and writing the file in C++ - you don't have to do anything special in your code to make this possible. If the file contains the text "NOOB: 1", you can open it in NotePad, change the '1' to a '2', save it, run the program that reads the file and prints the value to the screen, and the program will display the value '2'. It's as simple as that.

The only caveat here is that you've now complicated the file format somewhat by writing out the string "NOOB: " prior to the variable value, so you'll have to take this into account when reading the data back.
I opened the file in NOTEPAD and it read:

NOOB: 50

I tried reading the value after I edited it, but I can't. When I try reading it with my program, the new number doesn't come up. I think it's trying to read the string "NOOB:" as the number. How do I make it load from AFTER the "NOOB:" string?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement