Sign in to follow this  
SolaceEternal

How can I make a simple, basic trading game in GameMaker?

As the title says, I want to make a very basic game in GM 6/7. Top down, 256-color trrading game that involves turn-based movement and going from port to port trading stuff. [To further clarify, I'm intending to make a clone of Merchant: The Prince, then expand upon it later.] My main problem is... frankly, I don't know where to begin. Or how to start. Or exactly what I should be planning to do. So, to the more experianced users of GM, where would you start?

I tried using Game Maker back a few years ago.

I don't remember much, but I seem to remember that Game Maker uses an organizational system based on objects (such as bullets, planes, etc.)

The cards could all be objects, of course. They would be defined only by position (or whatever - I don't know much about card games :)

Couldn't you just make an object to represent your computer opponent, and then write a script for it which would involve manipulating the card objects? (the logic for that could be complex, but I don't see a way around that.) Then you could write a script for the player object which would manipulate the card objects based on mouse input.

Hope this helps,
-synth_cat

Quote:
Original post by synth_cat
The cards could all be objects, of course. They would be defined only by position (or whatever - I don't know much about card games :)
-synth_cat

....cards? What?

And kelly, I scanned through a ton of tutorials... ended up just getting swamped over with information that I'm not entirely sure would be relevant