[.net] trying out tao

Started by
3 comments, last by Fiddler 17 years ago
ok, so im trying out using C# with the tao framework, im just starting so some of these questions may be noobish but bare with me. what are some good tutorials for using the tao framework with C#? what is involved in deployment, to make a tao C# app run on another computer what is required aside from .net framework / mono, do i just make sure to include the appropriate dll's or is there a automatic way to ensure dependences are dealt with or what? what consideration are their for cross-platform compliance, to make a C# app that can run on mono in linux or osx, are there any special consideration i need to be aware of? EDIT: im using sharp develop 2.1 if that makes a diffrence
Advertisement
Quote:
what is involved in deployment, to make a tao C# app run on another computer what is required aside from .net framework / mono, do i just make sure to include the appropriate dll's or is there a automatic way to ensure dependences are dealt with or what?

You need to include the Tao.* dll and their native equivalent that are non-standard (which is basically all of them). So Tao.DevIL will require you include the devIL native dlls in the project too (as a copied content file works well, not a reference)... glut32 is used by tao.opengl too I think (yet isn't standard).
As for tao .dlls themselves, some are very large (eg opengl). What I did here was zip them all up, and include them as a content resource in the project. I then handle the AppDomain.AssemblyResolve event to trigger loading of the .dlls from the included .zip.

Quote:
what are some good tutorials for using the tao framework with C#?

From memory there are loads of samples with the tao distribution.

Quote:
what consideration are their for cross-platform compliance, to make a C# app that can run on mono in linux or osx, are there any special consideration i need to be aware of?

This should be covered in the Tao docs. There are (or at least used to be) differences in compiling Tao. And of course differences at the wrapped API level are still there (eg WGL in opengl).
As for tutorials, any OpenGL/OpenAL/DevIL/whatever tutorial will work. Since Tao is just a bunch of bindings, your c# code will be pretty similar to the equivalent c++/c/whatever code.
ok, thanks
iv figured out a bit already
Just one note, Tao.OpenGl is self-contained, i.e. no external dependencies.

Thus, you can use it with any windowing system you'd like (Tao.Sdl, Tao.Glfw, Tao.Glut, Windows Forms - both Windows and X, take a look at OpenTK to see how it's done), whatever. This also means that Tao.OpenGl can be deployed on both 32 and 64 bit platforms without distributing any 64 bit dlls, provided you do not use Tao.Sdl and the like.

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement