• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hollower

boost::signals::trackable and user-defined functors

This topic is 4089 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

According to the tutorial at boost.org boost::signals::trackable only works with function objects created by boost::bind, and not user-defined functors. Is this still true? I ask because it appears to work in my test code. I need to connect signals to functors stored in a dynamic container. When these elements are destroyed, any connected signals must disconnect from them. The container actually stores shared_ptrs so copying doesn't leave things dangling. Here is the test code:
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>
#include <boost/signals.hpp>
#include <boost/smart_ptr.hpp>

struct Slot : public boost::signals::trackable
{
	int n;
	Slot(int n) : n(n) {}
	void operator()() { std::cout << "Slot " << n << " called." << std::endl; }
};

int main()
{
	boost::signal<void ()> sig;

typedef boost::shared_ptr<Slot> slot_ptr;
	std::vector< slot_ptr > slots;

slots.push_back( slot_ptr(new Slot(1)) );
	sig.connect( *(slots.back())  );
	slots.push_back( slot_ptr(new Slot(2)) );
	slots.push_back( slot_ptr(new Slot(3)) );
	sig();
	slots.clear();
	sig();
}

Output:
Slot 1 called.
Slot 2 called.
Slot 3 called.

So, is this safe to work with? I'm not worried about multithreaded right now since the docs say Boost::Signals isn't thread-safe anyway.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Hollower
So, is this safe to work with? I'm not worried about multithreaded right now since the docs say Boost::Signals isn't thread-safe anyway.

It should be fine as far as I know. I believe they only mean user-defined function objects that do not implement trackable. I may be wrong, though.

By the way, a thread-safe version of signals is available in the Boost Vault. I haven't tried using it yet, though.

jfl.

After looking at trackable_test.cpp I think I finally understand what they're saying. A trackable doesn't have to be a function object at all, and you can use boost::bind to bind a trackable to another function which doesn't know about trackables. In my test they are already bound because the this pointer for operator() points to a trackable. [totally]

Thanks!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!