becomming a level designer

Started by
8 comments, last by JohnBolton 17 years ago
I want to get into the game industry at some point, but not as a programmer as I don't really have a passion for it, but as a level designer. I'm currently a computer science student close to graduating and with summer coming up I have the choice of a computer science internship or a video game testing job(or a third choice I don't know about). The problem is a lot of internships ask for skills I do not have (mySQL, perl, php, etc). What would be the best route to take for eventually getting to the position of level designer and hopefully game designer. I know picking computer science seems odd for someone that does not love programming, but its good knowledge to have either way. I'm currently trying to figure out C# with directX and later this semester with XNA.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by illmatic
I want to get into the game industry at some point, but not as a programmer as I don't really have a passion for it, but as a level designer.

I'm currently a computer science student close to graduating and with summer coming up I have the choice of a computer science internship or a video game testing job(or a third choice I don't know about). The problem is a lot of internships ask for skills I do not have (mySQL, perl, php, etc).

What would be the best route to take for eventually getting to the position of level designer and hopefully game designer.

I know picking computer science seems odd for someone that does not love programming, but its good knowledge to have either way. I'm currently trying to figure out C# with directX and later this semester with XNA.

It's hard to see what your trying to convey when you say level designer. Do you want to be someone who actually designs the layout of a level, someone who designs the artwork, or someone who codes in the levels? I think if you are wanting to design levels computer science isn't really what you want I would think you'd want more of a engineering type view on things. Such as a building structure how should the levels be layed out would be designing it in my eyes. Come a little clearer with your question and i'll give another shot :-)
-durfy
If your working with C#, then PHP, PERL, and MySQL shouldnt be hard, i know them all besides C#( i uses C++ instead), you can learn these languages in a week or so.
Go here:
www.w3schools.com
I may be wrong,but this is what I think a level designer does.

"Bring the level architecture, props, lighting, event triggers and AI scripting together to create a fun, atmospheric experience."

Also thanks for the link, I'll def look into that.
Ya, Level Design is the guy the dose all that, with no programming.
I'm sure there's programming involved.

You're probably being sarcastic though :o

back to my main question, video game tester VS computer science internship, what would be the better route.
if you dont want to program go Testing, its getting payed to play video games, i would do it :D, btw i wasnt being sarcastic, when it says Design it dosnt meen you have to program, you would be apart of the Game Design Team. You would probley want to get some 3DS Max skills before you did level design though to get your ideas out in a more detailed way.
Yeah programmers dont put anything together for them self. Usually they are told what to do by a project manager or a business analyst who finds out from the designer/group of the people paying for the work .
EDIT: a programmer is told what to do they get to figure out how to do it, but this does not include designing levels. A programmer would design the code around the design.
-durfy
that definitely sounds more appealing than just programming what you are told to program, but it is also probably harder to get into.

when I have more free time I'm going to try and learn maya or whatever other 3d tool is the most useful.
Quote:Original post by illmatic
I want to get into the game industry at some point, but not as a programmer as I don't really have a passion for it, but as a level designer.

I'm currently a computer science student close to graduating and with summer coming up I have the choice of a computer science internship or a video game testing job(or a third choice I don't know about).

An internship as a tester is your best choice if you want to be a level designer. Most game designers start out as testers.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement