Sign in to follow this  
supamike

DirectX and Windows Forms

Hi All, Im currently making a simple game using directx9 in visual studio. Ive got directx rendering on a windowed windows form and have an rts style UI on the right hand side which is just a panel with buttons made using the form designer. what i want to do is make the game fullscreen but still have the UI visible on the rhs, but when you change to fullscreen mode directx takes over the entire space and you cant see the panel and buttons (although they are still there 'behind' and you can click them, just not see them). It works fine in windowed mode but fullscreen would be that little bit more professional looking. i kinda knew a windows form style gui with directx wouldnt play nicely but i want to save time by making the interface in visual studio and not have to draw everything in dx and make event handlers etc. anyone have an idea how/if this is possible? thanks!

I'm 99% sure that this isn't possible. Unfortunately, if you want a gui while fullscreen, you'll have to render it yourself.

edit- you could always fake it by making the window maximized to fill 100% of the window, while not being in true fullscreen mode.

thanks, yeah thats what ive been doing, maximised but still in windowed mode so it almost appears fullscreen. actually while writing this i figured out how to get rid of the blue system bar at the top which helps alot.

sounds like ill have to live without the authentic fullscreen..