Tracy Fulerton: Playcentric Game Design

Started by
1 comment, last by __ODIN__ 17 years ago
Tracy Fullerton is Visiting Assistant Professor, Interactive Media Division, USC School of Cinema-Television, and one of the leading theoreticians on game-design. She's also the co-author of Game Design Workshop. Anyways; here's the video of her speaking at the Asian Game Developer Summit in 2006, where she was discussing the concept of player-centric design. Tracy Fullerton: "Playcentric Game Design: Becoming an Advocate for the player" The rest of the videos can be found here Odin
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Advertisement
She does have some interesting points.

I liked the idea of test scripts. It should give some better result when testing the game.

I'm not so sure about letting players play the game in its earliest phases and taking their feedback about it. The major points of the game design should have been put before that.

I would really like to grab who ever video-taped the summit and tie him into a knot X( The screen was impossible to see :(

I just downloaded the cloud game. It’s impressive, very impressive :) I can touch clouds now :P
Quote:Original post by Farraj
I'm not so sure about letting players play the game in its earliest phases and taking their feedback about it. The major points of the game design should have been put before that.

I'm actually a big fan of that; our games change pretty rapidly after the initial prototype. It's different if the game's core is heavy on core tech/art (like an FPS or MMOG), but if you're actually trying to innovate in terms of play-mechanics, getting an early playable prototype, and getting it to your target audience types, is a really good thing.

Quote:Original post by Farraj
I would really like to grab who ever video-taped the summit and tie him into a knot X( The screen was impossible to see :(

Wasn't me :D I think the first presentation (with Ian Livingstone), he tried to get both.. the result was that the speaker didn't get heard.. I dunno if you actually need two screens to make it work properly ..

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement