Sign in to follow this  
Turik

[web] Web Design Help

I'm starting to do work in web design and I was wondering if anyone could help guide me with this with maybe sites about good web design tips. Thank you to anyone who posts.

Repost from somewhere else because I'm lazy, this was written to help an illustrator friend build her portfolio, but the basics are the same for everyone:

I'm a big fan of Laura Lemay's html books because she doesn't just say :"do so and so" she explains why. Basically html is just a .txt file where you change the extension. If you never saw html, you can click the top of your browswer and then choose:>source. It will show you the html behind the page you are currently viewing.

Many modern pages (like this forum) are dynamically generated content and therefor are fairly complicated, however, if you go on my website (in my sig) and click on view source, you will see that it's very simple. The reason is that I'm using CSS (cascading style sheets) to keep the display and the content separate. So I can change the entire look of all the pages on my site by changing a single file.

To see the power of CSS in action, I recommend :http://www.csszengarden.com/ this is uber sohisticated CSS but it gives you a good idea of what is possible.

I suggest that you start fairly simple, portfolio are better when simple (unless they are webdesign portfolios) also, the differences between browsers can be madening when you get elaborate(I still have a firefox bug on my site, that I can't seem to pinpoint, it works great with Opera and IE though.)

The first step is to decide what you want on your site, should it be on different pages? What page leads where? You can do a small flowchart to figure it out. Then if you have more than one page, you can write a name for the file, the first page is usually index.html since this is the page that webservers show by default. Then maybe stuff that means something like bio.html, contactme.html etc. Keep it short because you will need to type them a lot.