Sign in to follow this  
SolaceEternal

Anyone want any old nes, snes, gb, and possibly gba tunes in .IT/.XM format?

See title. I could also put 'em in S3M or MOD, but... lol. I've already transcribed most of the nes megaman tunes, for those who want them to either just listen to or mess with. Also got a number of the more popular games' tunes (castlevania, blaster master, etc.) I also take requests. Anyone want?

Quote:
Original post by SolaceEternal
I've transfered quite a bit of it, actually. Intro theme, wily battle, and most of the stage tunes.

Looking for anything in particular? I can remake the handfull left, if you want 'em all.
Every SINGLE track from Mega man 2 is an enjoyable track for me. In particular, Bubble Man's stage, Quickman, Metal man, Flash man and Crash Man's stage. Do you have those, by chance? Air Man's stage is also awesome.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
They're under copyright only if they're represented by the RIAA [/sarcasm]

heh. true 'nough.

I'd asked actually because I thought that the mega-man people were actually a really litigious bunch.

-me

Rain, sadly I never got around to doin' airman or crashman's stage; starting that tonight. The other ones I've got.

And this should be completely legit. I've seen others do it for ages with no reprocussions; case in point being zophar's domain, which hosts the original ripped tunes ripped directly from loads of games (in nsf, gbs, gba etc format, though) and it's been around since like '96.

As for a webspace... lol, ain't got one. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could host these?

Quote:
I've seen others do it for ages with no reprocussions

Just because there were no repercussions doesn't stop it from being illegal.

It is illegal, and the mods may decide to kill this thread. However, nobody ever protects these copyrights because they are for outdated products, and most of the time it just helps keep the name alive. It never hurts to have some MegaMan fans listening to music from their favorite game.

So be warned that it is illegal*

*but enjoy your excellent music [grin]

Quote:
Rain, sadly I never got around to doin' airman or crashman's stage; starting that tonight. The other ones I've got.

And this should be completely legit. I've seen others do it for ages with no reprocussions; case in point being zophar's domain, which hosts the original ripped tunes ripped directly from loads of games (in nsf, gbs, gba etc format, though) and it's been around since like '96.

As for a webspace... lol, ain't got one. Anyone have any suggestions on where I could host these?

Well, if you're really, really desperate, you could always get one of those free webspaces (such as Geocities or one of those type of deals) or you could use putfile.com and create an account there. Only bad thing about putfile is it's a bit of a hassle (not impossble, though) to download files. Or if you wanted, you could make an ACIDplanet.com account. I think I'd personally recomment ACIDplanet... any other suggestions?

Oh, and thanks for the info, JBourrie.

I am assuming that there is some kind of loophole around the illegal factor of possessing tunes like these in the tracker environment. I mean, can companies really copyright midi information, or just recordings? It was to my knowledge that only the actul recordings themselves were capable of enacting pending litigation...Perhaps I am wrong.

Quote:
Original post by Rain 7
I am assuming that there is some kind of loophole around the illegal factor of possessing tunes like these in the tracker environment. I mean, can companies really copyright midi information, or just recordings? It was to my knowledge that only the actul recordings themselves were capable of enacting pending litigation...Perhaps I am wrong.

Doesn't matter what format it is in. Technically if you copy a song that copyright protected you fall into legal territory. Now if you rip them yourself and keep it to yourself (assuming you have the original or the right to do so) then you are fine.

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by Rain 7

Doesn't matter what format it is in. Technically if you copy a song that copyright protected you fall into legal territory. Now if you rip them yourself and keep it to yourself (assuming you have the original or the right to do so) then you are fine.

Technically, it does matter what the form is, as a general rule of thumb. That is why there is such a problem with the hip hop music community right now with all the 'sampling/stealing' going on. The law protects certain forms of a song from copyright but the exactness through which a commercialized recording can be 'identified' is sometimes scanty at best and far from absolute. I took a recording class from a teacher which identified that materials which are often used for a recording can be greatly manipulated to evade statutes of law. Though these guys were a bit shady if I do say so myself! Still, I am willing to bet that this simply a truth of the recording industry. If laws were too stringent, there were would be littler room for both growth and opportunity for the next big hit, so I imagine that is why its key to learn where the line can be drawn.

Quote:
In during arguement.

Back on topic. Finished the crashman tune earlier, and airman is being a pain.

A friend of mine is talkin' about lettin' me upload some of the tunes via ftp on her site.

Great! Thanks for your trouble. I look forward to checking it out.

To make things clear, I am not keen on stealing material, nor am I keen on breaking the law...but over the years I have provided Capcom with thousands of dollars through buying games, systems, accessories, action figures, lunch boxes, etc. etc.
It seems completely trivial and pointless for them to deny life long fans a glimpse of what makes the music tracks from a 15 year old video game, tick.

I hope they wouldn't be so cut throat.

Quote:
Original post by Rain 7
Technically, it does matter what the form is, as a general rule of thumb. That is why there is such a problem with the hip hop music community right now with all the 'sampling/stealing' going on. The law protects certain forms of a song from copyright but the exactness through which a commercialized recording can be 'identified' is sometimes scanty at best and far from absolute.
Any samples used on a recording have to be cleared and paid for. If they don't, they get sued eventually.

Copying and redistrubuting any coptrighted creative work is illegal, without permission from the rights holder is illegal. There isn't an 'I bought a lunchbox' loophole.

Alright, enough is freaking enough.

This arguement has been debated for years, and there's still no definative answer on it. If you'd like to continue this stupid battle of opinions, you can make your own thread about it and duke it out there.

Can we PLEASE get back on topic already?

Quote:
Original post by Milquetoasty
Any - Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Song A - Tetris
Castle - Zelda 2

'kay

Quote:

Any - Contra 3

To be clear, you're refering to the snes contra, right?

Quote:

Ken, Guile - Street Fighters

'kay, and I'm assuming you mean their stage's tunes

Quote:
Battle Music (Any) - Pokemon

You have any idea how many pokemon battle tunes there are? I'm only bringin' this up 'cause I didn't notice exactly how friggin' many there are until I actually saw the full music rip from one of the games.