Sign in to follow this  
Ultimate_Fusion

finding angle of direction to adjust sprite animation

i am trying to get the direction of movement of my character to I can change the sprite . e.g of the charcter is facing East i am wanting the character to face right etc. I have 8 spites one for every direction, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW. depending on the angle that the character is moving to The correct sprite should be chosen. I tried: sin(angle) = y (if radius is 1) Angle = asin (y); imagenumber = (angle/6.28)*8; //divide by radians, times by number of sprites is there anything else I have missed??

The problem with sine and cosine independently, is that you can't use either by itself to determine the true angle of the vector. If this is C++, you can use atan2, which will give you the correct angle from [-PI,PI]. The code becomes:

angle = atan2(y,x);
image = (int)((angle + 17.0*PI/16.0) / (PI / 4.0)) % 8; // simplified: (int)(4.0*angle/PI + 17.0/4.0) % 8

The translation factor translates the angle from [-PI,PI] to [0,2*PI], and it also aligns the direction "slices" so that the principle angles 0°, 45°, 90°, etc., are in the middle of the slice, and not the edge. Finally, we divide by the size of each slice, and modulo into the image range. Image 0 is centered at angle 0°, image 1 is centered at angle 45°, i.e. it goes in a counter-clockwise direction. If you have any questions let me know :)

thanks for that reply, it was really helpful.
it is working better than before but alot of the time the sprites are facing the opposite direction.

i think my sprite sheet goes clockwise n, ne, e etc.

i used

image = 8 - image;

if (image == 8)
image = 0;

but i got the results as above.