Optical drives not updating on disk changes

Started by
1 comment, last by DvDmanDT 17 years ago
Hello, my optical drives doesn't update when I insert a new disk. For example, if I boot my computer with a dvd labeled "MyDisk1" in my optical drive E:, and then replace that with a dvd named "MyDisk2", it doesn't update the label and icon in "My computer". The contents are updated, but not the labels and icons. This wouldn't have mattered much, if it wasn't for the fact that some software and copy-protection systems accutually use that data (if I boot with Game_1's cd, then switch to Game_2's cd, Game_2 will still refuse to run because it doesn't find it's cd in any drive). The only way to update those labels/icons is to reboot, which takes 10-15 mins. Emulators, such as D-tools and Alcohol 120% behave the same way, it doesn't update when I mount a new image. Another effect is that my second optical drive, which is also a burner, doesn't function at all for reading if it's empty when I boot. That is, if I boot with no disk in F:, and then insert some random disk, it doesn't even find contents on it, but instead allows me to drag 'n' drop files onto it for burning. I'm using Windows XP SP2, Swedish. I'm pretty sure this is a system-wide issue and not a specific driver issue, since both optical drives, and both emulated optical drives behave the same way. I am also guessing that VMWare is behind it, since I seem to recall it asking me if I wanted to disable autorun. Now, I don't want autorun, but I DO want my OS to know what disks are currently in my drives. So, does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Advertisement
I get the same symptoms when disabling autorun. I think that's just what you get.

I can re-scan the devices to get the new disk, though; I think it's through doing a Get Info on the disc in the My Computer window.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
When you say Get info, do you mean rightclicking on the disk and clicking something labeled "Get info"? Because I have no such option. :(

Hmm.. Are you sure there's no other way? I'm pretty sure I've disabled autorun without getting these symptoms before..

[Edited by - DvDmanDT on April 9, 2007 11:43:43 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement