Hardware companies to avoid

Started by
27 comments, last by Joshuad 15 years, 1 month ago
Best. Headphones. Ever.

I have multiple pairs, and only use something else if I'm on the run.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Don Quioxte
After having the second Abit component in my computer go out on me recently (First was a video card, second was a mobo), I've been thinking about companies that I will not buy from, ever again. Currently, Abit tops that list for me.

Was it an Intel-compatible or AMD-compatible Abit board? I've had problems with Abit's Intel boards but their AMD boards are rock solid (so far).

I have had an ATI 9800 Pro with stock heat sink/fan crap out after playing MMOs for too long. I haven't had any nVidia hardware fail, and nVidia's XP drivers kick the ^%#@ out of ATI's. The Vista drivers, on the other hand... "under construction" :(

I've had two Lite-On DVD burners die on me after some moderate usage. I also had StarForce drivers installed at the time which may or may not have anything to do with it...

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've owned 6 or 7 Western Digital hard drives and none of them have ever crapped out on me (including a WD Passport like what JBS103 might be talking about - USB powered 100GB drive that fits in your pocket! What could be better?!)
Quote:Original post by Nypyren
Was it an Intel-compatible or AMD-compatible Abit board?

AMD. Running an Athlon 64 3200+, with two optical drives, 2 HDDs, and an x1950 pro (when it went out on me) so it's not like I was running too much on it.

To the best of my knowledge, it's actually only the BIOS that's dead, but I was having USB 2.0 problems, SATA issues, etc., so I'm just going with a new board.

For a replacement, I'm looking at MSI, ASUS (1), or ASUS (2). Anyone care to give an opinion?
[sub]-------------------------So impact forces are measured in Ford-Taurus-miles-per-hour in the U.S.? - Trapper Zoid[/sub]
My Abit BH6 has been running for nearly ten years without a problem - at least until today when I found out the wireless network card I just bought requires PCI 2.2 and I've only got 2.1 [crying]
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
when coming through pre built machines they are all shit. No good customer service and most of time over priced for the so call customer service??yeah DELL horrid but me building machine myself and having newegg worry for the rem's and burn pieces great i geuss 100 out of 10 vs the 10 out 1000000000000000100000000010000000000010001010100100000 with prebuilt machines
Bring more Pain
I love:

Intel (was AMD for a while but Core series is still king)
NVIDIA (had ATI but their drivers blow ass)
WD Raptor or Velociraptor drives in a RAID
Corsair RAM
NOT Creative (though I have no probs with my current Xi-Fi Gamer)

Motherboard I've jumped around and never had a problem. A generally safe bet it to grab whatever Tom's Hardware is using for one of their CPU review tests.

-me
Wow. Ultra-necroed thread. I was about to reply to the OP about Abit already being dead, but then I noticed that post was from 2007.
Wow, this is a totally old post!

Quote:Original post by LessBread
My Abit BH6 has been running for nearly ten years without a problem - at least until today when I found out the wireless network card I just bought requires PCI 2.2 and I've only got 2.1 [crying]

Interesting you should mention the BH6. My parents had one which died recently (although it may have been another power supply. Either way, the machine it was in was ancient and crap).

eMachines is absolute rubbish. Avoid it like the plague (at least the desktops). There's only one thing worse than bad restore disks, and that's finding out that your restore disks are bad in the middle of a system restore.

I've only had the following hardware go bad on me:
- no name CD Rom (45x)
- ATi Rage Fury Pro 32 MB video card
- Dell 17" CRT (bad from factory)
- Maxtor 160 GB HDD
- Phillips DVD burner

The wires in my Altec Lansing speakers for one speaker are on the fritz, but that's probably because I've been using the sub as a footstool for the past five years. Other than that, I love the things.
Motherboards - Nowadays the only ones I buy are nForce, considering it doesn't really matter what brand it is, they are still getting the same support.

Processors - I lost respect for Intel when the Pentium 3 was released. I was rock solid with them back in the P2 days though. Ever since, I had been using AMD. My first being an Athlon 1.2GHz (after having horrible experiences with the P3 1.0)

Memory - As long as it is Corsair, I'm good to go.

Hard drives - I have 2TB of WD across 2 computers at the moment, first drive that I had ever bought from them finally died a few weeks ago. It was a 20GB, and it was 8 years old. Sad day indeed.

Video - Nvidia. 'Nuff said.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement