• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MetaFox

OpenGL Dynamic Tree Library

This topic is 4215 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone Not entirely sure if this is the right forum folder. Hope I'm not too far off though :) I've written a shared library (dll) which allows a linking application to create and render random trees using OpenGL. It's working fine to this point and i would like others to test it to see if it's useful and if there's bugs left to kill (I know, there always are). Atm it's beta phase but I'm gonna keep it free of charges for non-commercial projects. You might wanna try it if you're working on an open terrain project. Though the library is supposed to be working on both windows and linux, the linux version may cause problems with the linking. Working on that though. Anyway, ANY feedback would be highly appreciated. The url for the download is http://www.delta-works.org/download/?&details=TreeLib Here's a screenshot of what the library produces: http://www.delta-works.org/gallery/?target=/Screenshots&image=tree_concept (seems this forum doesn't support embedded images. pitty) [Edited by - MetaFox on April 9, 2007 4:23:01 PM]

Advertisement
You can post such things in the image of the day forum, with images of course.

Looks nice in my opinion, but with my Engine it has shadow an nice lightning :P.
Can you tell me how much triangles you tree in the image has?

Keep up the good work mate ;)

Heh, thanks for the hint about image of the day. Posted a screenshot there :)
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=442889

About faces:

You can query the number of faces of the branches via
getAttributei(my_tree,TL_FACES);
after rendering the first time.
With unmodified lod a tree has usually between 1000 and 5000 triangles depending on how many branches it has.
Additionally there's the leaf batches which can be queried via
getAttributei(my_tree,TL_LEAVES);
Those are usually between 300 and 700 depending on the complexity of the tree. I tried rendering the tree with less but it just doesn't look good anymore :P

About shadows:

Yeah i know the shadows i render via the library are _very_ simple. But any other method of rendering shadows would require scene-information i just don't have.
So if you have better methods for the trees' shadows you should just disable tree shadows alltogether via
setAttributei(NULL,TL_SHADOW,TL_NO_SHADOW);
before creating the first tree ;)

Thx for trying out the library :)

Btw i uploaded a demo application which creates and renders a single tree from the library. It shows some statistics about the rendered tree. You can also compare balanced and non-balanced trees.
It's downloadable from the same location as the library.
Have fun ;)

nice work, and nice to see how you apply the opengl style to your api, as it's sort of an opengl plugin :)

i'd love to have such a thing for XNA, though, as on the xbox360, you have a 50mb limit as ordinary XNA developer (i think), thus, procedural is key there..

anyways, great work, fun to "just stay on [enter]" in the demo :)

Actually during my recent linux experience i started considering making the communication with the actual rendering environment controled through a secondary open source shared library. This would allow integration into pretty much any kind of rendering system including *ugh* Direct3d :P

Thanks for testing the library :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!