Sign in to follow this  
khamill

.Net vs WIN32

Hi Guys and Gals, I have some win32 experience, maybe 1 year's worth. I've been fiddling around in Irrlicht lately and have created a neat learning game for my 2 year old son. Nothing major. Question(s): Win32 seems to be massive and will support most things I would want to do in windows. Why would I want to learn .Net besides the obvious obselencence issue that could overwhelm Win32? Or is obselencence even an issue with Win32, maybe not? I'm under the impression that .Net is more for web applications? Reading some reveiws on Amazon about books on win32 and most guys say move on and learn .Net so ...? I guess the question I'm asking referring to .Net is -> should I go there? Is it necessary?

Personally, I think knowing the Win32 API is still useful as it gives you a much deeper knowledge of the inner workings of Windows. With that being said, MS is trying to push developers to .NET to combat Java. If you really look the at the .NET framework, it's basically a copy of Java but they one-upped Sun by making it language independent allowing developers to use either C++, VB or C#.

Personally, if you want to work professionally, you should learn .NET. If you're a hobbyist programmer whose career is not in IT then I see no real reason to unless you just want to for the heck of it. Mind you, I think MS is also starting to push Managed DX which seems to be more geared towards development in C# but I could be wrong.

Quote:
Original post by khamill
I guess the question I'm asking referring to .Net is -> should I go there? Is it necessary?

Your call. It's not strictly necessary for game developpers right now, but seriously, if you want to program desktop apps on Windows (and even on Linux), .NET is pretty much THE 'tool' to use. It's just much friendlier than Win32.

Not to mention web apps or web services, where .NET again shines.