MDX, XNA, DirectX, Oh my!

Started by
11 comments, last by noNchaoTic 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by ussnewjersey4
Quote:Out of curiosity, what do you find yourself unable to do with XNA over DX 9?

Well, one major thing that jumps out at me right away is that you are unable to distribute your XNA games to anyone other than people who already have the XNA SDK already installed! How are you supposed to make a game if you can't share it with anyone other than other developers?

XNA has its own runtime redistributable just as DX 9 does that you can install with your game. (You'll also need the .NET and DX runtimes installed too)

Quote:Original post by devronious
I'm still using mdx1.1 and am hesitant to move to xna at all. I looked at the express release and it didn't seem to offer a library that had full docs to use like the mdx 1.1 did. Am I wrong about this? XNA just doesn't appear to me to be anything other than a toy for newbies. Is that right?

XNA comes with perfectly good documentation ("XNA Game Studio Express Documentation", also available online at MSDN).

It's still being developed, but XNA is certainly not a "toy for newbies". There are some nice demonstrations of XNA demos on youtube and with the "Torque X" XNA based engine.
Advertisement
load_bitmap_file,

Just out of curiousity, not knowing much about the torque x game engine, is that a 2d/3d (scrolling) or 3d fps style game engine?

-Devin
Some of the issues with Xna are a tad annoying, case-in-point: the crapness of the XACT wrapper. But I think given a little time, things will improve, there's an update for the API coming soon, lets see what that brings :-)
Steven ToveySPUify | Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement