Sign in to follow this  
johdex

Typical update frequencies in racing sims

Hi, I was wondering what is the typical update frequency when simulating physics in a realistic car racing simulation? In my own project I never managed to use a frequency lower than 200Hz without getting stability issues. Am I just a terrible physics programmer :) or is it unrealistic to aim for 10Hz?

I'd consider 30hz too slow as well, except maybe for cars that are unseen, or game props (road traffic like in Burnout). 50Hz to 100Hz for a normal simulation. Also scalable depending if the car is far away or close (your car, vs the cars 1/2 way down the track). It's not uncommon to have the cars very far away not even simulated, but run through statistics and prediction. Kind of a LOD physics and A.I. But for a pure simulation, between 50Hz and 100Hz.

Well it also depends on your collision detection. I mean if you are using continuous collision detection then 60-30 hz is probably acceptable, but if you are using something like ODE then 200 hz is not too much.

What kind of collision response is used at these low frequencies? I'm afraid a penalty-based method would not work below 100Hz. Am I right? My experience using Euler confirms that fear, but maybe RK4 will work.