Game Interface for Flight Simulator

Started by
5 comments, last by Lionheart_0001 17 years ago
Hey guys, I am new to this website and it appears to be one hot place for game developers. I am into creation of Flight Simulation software addon packages for the Microsoft Flight Simulator, FS2004. Presently I am moving up in my work to create a 'super gamepack' that has a game theme. The problem though is that I need a game interface. I am presently creating a game interface that is based on HTML, (basically web pages with wild art to navigate to Missions, Manuals, Maps, and then the 'Go' button to begin a mission which interfaces with Flight Simulator by opening a FLT file). My question is, what do you guys usually use as a basic 'Game Interface'? I have no idea what is used. This is totally new territory to me. There are some games based on Flight Simulator out presently that use a game interface and the set-up is quite nice with bitmaps (or what ever image media they are using), which is what I am 'very' much into. I want a game interface that has music, wild graphics, and anything else to dazzle the computer monitor. Open for input..... Kind regards, Bill Lionheart Creations Ltd.
Advertisement
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by your gamepack (or alternatively, what you want from a 'game interface) - do you want to extend FS itself?

However, in any case, Peter Dawson's excellent FSUIPC utility (which I'm sure you'll have heard of) provides access to a very wide variety of data from FS. I believe you can get a licence for your add-on to use FSUIPC for free so long as you release that add-on for free. Although - you will need programming experience to use it.

EDIT: Rereading, if you just want to load up .FLT saved flights/missions (I think FSX reintroduced missions 'for real' - perhaps worth looking into that?) by using HTML documents to navigate to these flights, then you might be interested to know that the kneeboard is essentially just a wrapper around the Internet Explorer rendering engine (Trident) - meaning it will display HTML files. You'd just have to tinker with the aircraft.cfg of the aircraft you wanted it to appear for (or, I think, the aircraft.cfg in the default aircraft folder - it's been a while since I did much with FS).
[TheUnbeliever]
Howdy Unbeliever,

Many thanks for your input.

The 'gamepack' is payware and features a WWII oriented era package of scenery and aircraft as well as missions, (7 airfields, various AI and high detail aircraft, perhaps 60 missions, and include a Kubelwagen and a Type VIIC U-Boot).

The Interface would take away having to go to FS2004 to access the missions. The Interface would set-up the player with a mood brought about with the music and graphics and the verbage with the mission.

Good to hear you know so much about FS already. Yep, I know about the Kneeboard being an HTML reader, (I wish I could make it alot bigger then its present size). However, I dont wish to utilize that area for the Interface. I want to make this like a 'game of its own' sort of feel in the 'first part' of the mission, then it boots up FS directly into the flight. Pretty much like FS Cargo Pilot does, though theirs does a very cool interactive work with rewards and such, which is more then I wish to do with this gamepack.

Peter Dawson is a true pioneer with FSUIPC.

I have a couple of sims on the drawing boards as well that have been started, but utilize the FS2004 game engine, which I do not know if it can be leased or licensed.

Many thanks,

Bill

Quote:The 'gamepack' is payware and features a WWII oriented era package of scenery and aircraft as well as missions, (7 airfields, various AI and high detail aircraft, perhaps 60 missions, and include a Kubelwagen and a Type VIIC U-Boot).

Ah, looking up your website, I see I have actually come across some of your creations before.

Quote:Good to hear you know so much about FS already.

Heh, I've been in the community for about 6 or 7 years. I developed a few pieces of software for VASM before that went under, released a handful of mesh sceneries (for relatively small areas that interested me - although I've thought about automating the process and covering some larger areas) and done a bit of repainting (albeit I never released any of my paints - I'm not very good!).

Quote:I want to make this like a 'game of its own' sort of feel in the 'first part' of the mission, then it boots up FS directly into the flight. Pretty much like FS Cargo Pilot does, though theirs does a very cool interactive work with rewards and such, which is more then I wish to do with this gamepack.

Ah, I understand better now. Depending on exactly (I realise it is in your interest not to share details, as it's a commercial project) what you're doing, simply using a web-browser based interface may suit your purposes. However, it may be worthwhile looking into writing a computer program specifically for your product (particularly since it makes the inclusion of some of the multimedia you have included somewhat easier - making things a somewhat more integrated environment). On the other hand, using a browser-based interface does sound like it'd be absolutely fine for you.

Quote:I have a couple of sims on the drawing boards as well that have been started, but utilize the FS2004 game engine, which I do not know if it can be leased or licensed.

Ah, that's intriguing - I'll be interested to see what comes out of that. I believe Microsoft have used the FS2004 game engine elsewhere (I can't remember what for, off the top of my head) but as far as I'm aware no one else has yet licensed it.
[TheUnbeliever]
Wow,

Small world. I might have come accross some of your creations then in the past. Pretty cool. I am lucky to have met up with you.

Quote:I released a handful of mesh sceneries (for relatively small areas that interested me - although I've thought about automating the process and covering some larger areas)

Are you good at mesh? Like can you do 'really' large area's?

I have been trying to lease the game engine for several months now. I figured they wouldnt mind leasing the retired FS engine.

Staying faithful though.....

Bill

Quote:
Quote:I released a handful of mesh sceneries (for relatively small areas that interested me - although I've thought about automating the process and covering some larger areas)

Are you good at mesh? Like can you do 'really' large area's?

To be honest, while there is a degree of skill in the creation, the main reason I figure not everyone does it is that it's mildly time consuming (downloading hundreds of megabytes of files, doing the necessary processing). I'd need to brush back up on how exactly I went about it, but I've been thinking for a while about finding some documentation of the source data formats and writing a program to perform some automated processing (mostly filling in any holes in the high-res SRTM data with the lower-res DEM data) then allow me to manually tweak the data as necessary. That shouldn't be too hard - then all that's necessary is to run the resulting data through the converter for BGL format.

What kind of really large areas are you thinking of? In theory, there's nothing restricting the size.

Quote:I have been trying to lease the game engine for several months now. I figured they wouldnt mind leasing the retired FS engine.

I take it you've been running against a brick wall, then? It's a pity...
[TheUnbeliever]
Quote:I take it you've been running against a brick wall, then? It's a pity...

Yes, it is a pity..

Quote:What kind of really large areas are you thinking of? In theory, there's nothing restricting the size.

'Planetary'... I need an entire 'complete' mesh work done to change it to another. If that one goes, then there would be several more.

Scary to think of, at least for me.

Pretty wild that you can create a tool that would allow fine tuning of mesh. Not many tool makers or programmers that is, in the FS world, it seems.

Bill

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement