Sign in to follow this  
halucid

Need alittle help.

Okay so, I have almost completed all my game docs, worked out story, characters, systems, concepts and all that. Now I'm totally unsure of what to do next, I want to start my own game development company because where I currently live there's only one other company here, and they don't have the greatest reputation. The only people I know of that can help me out are either.. moving away or there just aren't enough left to help me out and aren't really willing to devote the time to the project without the promise of actual wages which I can't give them without a publisher but I can't get a publisher without alittle more to show. I'd move away but I know there are so many people getting into game design at the various colleges and universities around here so there's a huge untapped resource, I just don't know how to go about finding anybody who would work for free. I think my concept is definately marketable and would be extremelely succesful but that's not really enough these days, understandably. I'm currently located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada if anyone is able to help me out or can give me any advice as to what to do next. I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, it's alittle bit of Game Development with alittle bit of looking for people so I wasn't sure. Thanks in advance! [Edited by - halucid on April 9, 2007 12:00:49 PM]

You could try posting in the Help Wanted forum and see if you get any hits. Please read the FAQ and obey the post formatting rules though. =)

In general, if you don't know any engineers who can code for you it is very unlikely that you will find any without offering money. For this reason 99% of the successful hobby projects have an engineer as one of the team organizers. As such, the best way to get your project off the ground is to learn to program.

I'll also point out the sad reality that unless you either have people on your team with 3-5 shipped AAA titles or have a 100% completed game, no publisher is going to pick you up no matter how "promising" the game is. Publishers want something they can safely "throw money at". A team of experienced people who have shipped professional games is "safe"; a completely finished game is also safe. Any kind of unfinished game staffed by "hobbyists" is not safe and will get zero dollars.

-me

[Edited by - Palidine on April 9, 2007 12:50:15 PM]

Hal wrote:
>Okay so, I have almost completed all my game docs, worked out story, characters, systems, concepts and all that. Now I'm totally unsure of what to do next, I want to start my own game development company

I doubt that you need to go so far as to start a company. You're probably not ready for that yet (you didn't say you had a degree and game industry experience and a lot of money). You should probably work on mods or an indy project to get your feet wet.

Read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson16.htm for more about that.

If you really want to go the game development company route, read http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson29.htm

Thanks very much for the links, I was working on a degree but it was way too expensive and I couldn't afford it anymore. I was looking into grants, and coming up with some other money. Anyways, I'll definately take a look at those links, and thanks very, very much for helping me out.