Sign in to follow this  
v0dKA

Is there a code library for generating diagrams?

Hello, I'm looking for a code library that would allow me to generate diagrams similar to this (I slapped this together in Paint): My program is in C++, so I would prefer that the library would be also. Otherwise, making my program inter-operate with the library might be difficult. I am using native C++ (not .net). The purpose of the program I am making is completely unrelated to this, and I don't really want to spend time making my own library. I'm hoping that there is a freeware library already available, but I'm having trouble finding one. Note that I do not want an application that would allow me to draw diagrams; rather, I need to be able to generate diagrams from inside my program based on the user's input. Hence, I need a library, not an application. And another question: does anyone know the formal name of the type of diagram that I drew? Is there a proper name for it? That would make searching a lot easier.

I don't know of any libraries off the top of my head, but for search purposes you might try:

Flowchart
Data Flow Diagram
State Transition Diagram
(Possibly UML, since, the basic symbols you seem to want are included in UML)

From similar diagrams in games:

Technology Tree Diagram
Resource Tree Diagram

I'm pretty sure there are libraries available for programatically generating all of the above but, as I said, I can't give you any names.

your diagram is a directed graph. Google "graphviz" to find an excellent program for rendering them. It is composed of subprograms, the one called "dot" is the standard one. I am writing a compiler and as the code goes through its itermediate stages I need to be able to visualize it. I wrote a few short functions to output my data structures to the graphviz file format and I get beautiful renderings.

just to clarify: graphviz is a program that takes text files as input, not an API. However it is not that much of an inconvience

Quote:
Original post by EXGE
Hi,
I agree with Dave. graphviz is a really nice tool!
http://www.graphviz.org/

I think you meant you agree with Glak. I was pretty much useless in this thread. ;)