Computer Upgrade

Started by
15 comments, last by BenThereDoneThat 17 years ago
Well, AMD still has these extremely low prices, but Intel's having a price drop April 22nd, so maybe you should decide when you see those prices?
----------------------------My site: www.sudoexec.net
Advertisement
It looks like I'll be selling my 3500+ with my Asus A8N SLI Deluxe as a package.

Ooh, thanks for the tip BenThereDoneThat. I'll wait until then and check out the prices when they drop.

What intel procs should I keep an eye on?
I have a P4 2.8GHz and a 7950GT and I still can't run Oblivion on full without a slowdown. It's a really tough game to run. So, I don't know.
I'm not really upgrading for Oblivion, I was just using it as an example of where I see less than desirable performance. Whether or not my new proc shreds through Oblivion or not isn't that important to me. I just want to relieve the bottleneck on my system, which is currently my processor.

Eventually I'll pick up another 7800 GTX for about $220 and pop it into SLI. That will boost my game performance.
Keep an eye on the E6300 and the E6600. They both have good performance per dollar, and will be an even better deal after the price drop.
The E6600 looks perfect. I'll definitely keep an eye on that.

In terms of performance per dollar, are AMD and Intel about equal?
I would have to say yes. Some may say "Well the Core 2s are so much faster", but you have to remember, they're all in the hundreds, while AMD's are generally on the cheaper side. This, of course, changes once you get into the higher levels, where Core 2 Duos and Quads beat the shite out of AMD (in most cases).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement