• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spek

OpenGL Messed up polygons (driver problem?)

This topic is 4184 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, This is not really a technical question I guess, but it has to do something with DirectX though. My computer is acting strange lately. I suspect there is some RAM or other kind of memory damaged. It has problems with starting, and so on. But once started, it ussually runs well, and so are my programs and games. But a week ago, all directX applications are suddenly running bad. Games, programming examples, and so on. All the OpenGL stuff is still working fine though. I can start the DirectX application, but it all the polygons are a mess now. They are flipped/invisible, and flicker alot. Also HUD texts are barely readable. I can remember I had this problem before, but I forgot how to solve it. I reinstalled DirectX 9.0c, but no effect. My graphics card is a nVidia 6600 GT. So, I also reinstalled the driver for that, but no effect. Anyone knows whats going on? greetings, Rick

Advertisement
I dont think its just your machine. A little while ago, a game I play called tibia which is 2d allows you to run the game with either directx 5,9c or opengl. With dx5 its actually using directdraw, but with dx9c or opengl it does the ole 2d in 3d work. Dx5 and opengl work like they are supposed to, the dx9c is messed up. Basically there are seams along each polygon. Nothing lines up right. I am using the latest drivers (just downloaded yesterday, april 9th) and have a GeForce7600 GS 512MB RAM PCI-EX. I never had this problem before, it just popped up the other day. I have reinstalled the game and that did not solve it. Maybe windows updater downloaded something "goofy" without us knowing.

I do not have the DirectX SDK installed, but funny enough...my XNA demos, games, etc all run fine. I always thought XNA was a layer on top of Managed DirectX which is layered on top of DirectX. So why would that still work? Besides me being wrong about the layering.

I do have Need For Speed : Most Wanted but it doesnt say what render api it uses and I do not have any other games to test against.

EDIT: Screen shot
<NOTE> I guess print screen captured both monitors. The bottom photo is the cats eye nebula from the hubble (if you were curious). You can zoom in on the photo to see the errors. </NOTE>

[Edited by - Imgelling on April 9, 2007 4:48:48 PM]

OK, solved it on my rig. This is what I did.

Right click the nvidia icon in the tool bar, choose your monitor, click performance & quality settings, then make sure "application controlled" is selected for every choice given. I turned on "application controlled" for anisotropic and anti aliasing, they were set to their respective max settings.

Hope this helps you!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!