Sign in to follow this  
Ampodayas

Starting from Nothing (Almost)

I searched first, and the closest match was something about music. Ok, so I've been looking through the articles trying to figure out where to start. First I went to game development (seemed pretty logical), but that referenced knowing exactly how the game was goinf to be programed (or at least portions of it). So next I went to programming, but these kept referencing other programing concepts (not that they weren't helpful). So then I went to the for beginners section and saw the suggestion to start with tertris. Problem is, this send me back to first designing tetris, which puts on this loop again. I do know a bit about Visual Basic, C, C++, and Java programing, but I have no idea how to use this it what seems to me to be a level of programming much closer to the machine, especially in the graphics department, with all this talk of direct bitmapping. I need some help with where to begin. Thanks in advance.

Look at SDL or if your sitll stuck, look at the C++ workshop run in these very forums. Its how I started learning. And obviousl just keep asking question, as most people will give you an answer quite soon (sometimes)

Have your application draw a black screen.
Then draw a small square block on it.
Then have that block move down every second.
Then draw 5 blocks, and have those move down at the same time.

For Java, this works something like this.

Create an application that creates a JForm that contains a JComponent. Then override the JComponents paintComponent method to draw the blocks (you'll need to figure out a way to store the block locations).

Lastly, create a Timer object and use it to update block location every second.

And in doing so, you'll at least get the grasp on how to extend this to different shaped blocks, how to handle playboard limitations, how to represent the blocks - this in turn will allow you to work in the collisions, and so on.

I don't know if this is too trivial for you, but these are the first steps.

It depends on what your ultimate goal is, but if you're looking to build a game from the ground up, try the tutorials here: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php - they'll get you familiar with the basics of graphics, events, and so on that make game programming different from, say, web programming or databases.