Sign in to follow this  
rosicky2005

Vertex Shader foundamental problem

For a vertex shader, there are two components to specify, color(pixel value) and position(pixel position) respectively. Then, how should I declare my texture? If, for example a simple program like this: Input an image and then output the Green value of RGB as 255.

Quote:
Original post by rosicky2005
For a vertex shader, there are two components to specify, color(pixel value) and position(pixel position) respectively.
If you're speaking for a generic vertex shader, no. Writing Position is the only requirement. If EXT_gpu_shader4 is supported then there's no need to write it.
Quote:
Original post by rosicky2005
Then, how should I declare my texture? If, for example a simple program like this: Input an image and then output the Green value of RGB as 255.
Texturing is generally a PS operation (unless you want vertex-texturing). Anyway, you must declare a sampler2D object. The object will be "sort of" a reference to a texturing unit that will be used for texturing.

Quote:
Original post by Krohm
If you're speaking for a generic vertex shader, no. Writing Position is the only requirement. If EXT_gpu_shader4 is supported then there's no need to write it.

If position is the only requirement, then can I still specify the color value?

Quote:
Texturing is generally a PS operation (unless you want vertex-texturing). Anyway, you must declare a sampler2D object. The object will be "sort of" a reference to a texturing unit that will be used for texturing.

For a sampler2D object, is that something like below?

imageParam = glGetUniformLocationARB(programObject, "textureY");

glActiveTexture(GL_TEXTURE0);
glBindTexture(textureParameters.texTarget,imageTexID);
glUniform1iARB(imageParam, 1);

Quote:

If position is the only requirement, then can I still specify the color value?

You can write pass on the vertex color using the varying gl_FrontColor & gl_BackColor

Quote:

glUniform1iARB(imageParam, 1);

I think, the value for the uniform must be 0, not 1 since the you have activated the 0th texture unit.

Regrads,
KumGame