• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
wld

[C++] how to start thread to run a member function with argument using boost thread?

This topic is 4091 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Within an object, from one member function, I need to start a new thread to run another member function with argument. I use boost::thread library to start the thread, however, it only accepts a functor with no argument and void as return value. I tried to use boost::bind to work around this as following: scrap.h: class X { X() {} virtual ~X(); void run1st(); void run2nd(int i); }; scrap.cpp: #include "scrap.h" #include <boost/bind.hpp> #include <boost/thread.hpp> void X::run1st () { int i = 0; boost::thread run_run2nd((boost::bind(&X::run2nd, this, _1))(i)); return; } void X::run2nd (int i) { int j; j = i; return; } When I compile, I got following error: g++ -O0 -g3 -Wall -I/usr/include -c scrap.cpp scrap.cpp: In member function ‘void X::run1st()’: scrap.cpp:8: error: invalid use of void expression make: *** [scrap.o] Error 1 However, if 'run2nd' has no argument, it works fine with following: boost::thread run_run2nd(boost::bind(&X::run2nd, this)); I searched the web, it seems that I need a so called function adapter to make this work. But it's not clear how to do that with a class member function. I tried a few times, no luck. Help is much appreciated.

Advertisement
You're on the right track, but I'm pretty sure (boost::bind(&X::run2nd, this, _1))(i) is essentially run2nd(i) (a void expression). Try boost::bind(&X::run2nd,this,i) or something along those lines to adapt the function.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!